Guest Post: Batting With The Bola…. On Batting!

Excellent news… One of our regular readers, and participant on the Ashes Panel, has kindly volunteered to bring his coaching eye to this blog. It’s something different, but I’m absolutely delighted that he’s put this up for discussion and debate – Dmitri

The former England cricketer from South Africa has a new book being published in October and this time he is going to talk about batting technique. My guess is that there will be some new stuff there, some interesting stuff – some stuff that only people who are more than 6ft will be able to do in there (like comparing KP to Mahela Jayawardene). My other guess is that there will be little stuff in there that won’t be in Douglas Jardine’s book on batting technique written with Jack Hobbs – which I like using!! He will certainly talk about getting your head over the ball – something Jardine and Hobbs call “the topple” as your head guides your feet to the line of the ball.
What this book will suggest is that they way people practice and people’s mindsets have changed more than the shots themselves, in general – Dillscoops and Switch hits and others excepted. But this post isn’t about the the new and fancy, it is about just doing the little things right and not being too stubborn to change.
What I don’t understand is why we see people playing with such poor techniques at international level – look at Ballance and Bairstow, or Robson and Lyth (leave out Steven Smith for now!) – these guys have been scoring runs at county level but don’t have the basic technique for international cricket. I appreciate that nerves will play a part, however, I don’t understand why people don’t have a grasp of this when playing first class cricket. At what point will the selectors realise that talent alone isn’t enough. Why are batting coaches letting this happen? Why did the England Captain have to work with Gary Palmer to sort out his batting? Gary Palmer is a brilliant batting coach, no question, but what was Gooch or Ramps or someone else at Essex doing that they couldn’t see what was obvious and that Cook’s alignment was out and his hips were square on through the shot (a very very common fault with amateurs who are tying to hit the ball too hard). When I talk about alignment – this is what I mean – stances can be different – but feet and hips need to be aligned.
Alignment
The top three show the batsman trying to hit the ball too hard – the back foot going onto the toe and the hips coming through the bottom show the batsman in defence and attack in a better position.
Below are rather better batsmen doing something similar. Vaughan’s position is tremendous through the shot,
Cricket 1
The basics of batting are simple – Grip, stance, alignment – as I say to my 5 year old in the nets – Head, foot, hit. If your grip and alignment is good and you move your head towards the ball – forward or from the back foot you can play the shot – and your weight will be moving through the shot. Gary Ballance isn’t really doing this. Chris Rodgers who sets up in a similar way absolutely does do that.
Rogers
ballance-540x367
In the above picture – see the back leg and hip positions and how hard Ballance has gone at the ball compared to Rodgers. With Ballance he is more likely to knick off, much like this horrible position.
_83191421_gary_ballance_pa
There was an ironic cheer when Steven Finn played a technically correct forward defensive shot on Sunday and followed it up with a second. On the highlights Mark Nicholas commented that it is a shot hardly played any more. Seriously – this isn’t hard and it certainly isn’t new.
Mark Butcher had to do a Nick Faldo and totally rebuild his batting so he could be an international player. Why isn’t Gary Ballance doing the same? Instead he is just doing what he always does and is now being touted for a recall – so will come back with the same issues. How can the England team improve by doing that? Moving him to number 5 wont change anything.
Here is Mark Butcher… again look at the back foot and hip position.
markbutcher-1323177
and for good measure one of Geoff…!
20140223100335_1224628
These issues are going to be exacerbated over the winter when we face the Pakistan and SA – against the spinning ball we the batters will need to be much more confident in getting right over to smother the spin in defence and to play the ball late in attack, being side on and playing the ball under your eyes will be crucial – as will being able to work the ball and rotate the strike. Also worth noting that there is no need to dance like headless chickens down the track against the spinners – you can use the width of the crease as well as the depth to change the bowlers line to your favour – Amla does this better than anyone as Jayawardene also used to do. I really worry for the likes of Bairstow in the UAE – it could break him, like it did to Eoin Morgan last time we were there.
Finally thinking about the mindset for batting for long periods, I can understand why players are struggling with this and knowing how to play – the difference between a 2020 game and a test match is impossible for an amateur to really understand, I also understand the happy hooker issues. But there are some things that can be used in all three forms to release pressure and to make batting long periods easier. Ali Cook scored 85 off 230+ balls over the weekend. But why wasn’t he rotating the strike more – when there were loads of attacking fields – why wasn’t he moving his position in the crease to stop Siddle bowling dots at him – and Cook wasn’t alone in this. These are simple things that should be second nature to a club batsman let alone an international. You don’t have to just smash boundaries to frustrate the bowlers. By making the bowlers work in different ways you take the pressure of you as a batsman. As a batsman you should be looking to put pressure on the bowler to do something different, whilst keeping things simple.
In a very harsh sense, I see Cook’s innings as a failure to score a hundred and get close to the follow on target by putting pressure back on the bowlers rather that the “wonderful rearguard innings” that it has been called (or words to that effect) – off the same number of balls he faced. That isn’t meant to be overly critical with wickets falling at the other end and with Lyon bowling well – it was a good innings, but avoiding the follow on should have been achievable on that pitch – which would have saved the game.
I hope these thoughts spark debate and challenge!
My thanks to Batting with the Bola, aka Philip Chapman, who can be followed on Twitter @pgpchappers . I’m not a technician at all and reading this was very interesting. Be interested to see if this is something our readers like, and if so, would love to invite BwiB back to do more of this.

14 thoughts on “Guest Post: Batting With The Bola…. On Batting!

1. man in a barrel Aug 25, 2015 / 8:47 pm

I am amazed that the guru has said something I have been saying for years… why does Cook find it so hard, after 4 hours at the crease, to just push a single and get a single. It is almost as if he prefers the score to stay the same. My theory is that Cook is a cyberman. I suggested at the start that Australia should just bowl to Cook and keep him on strike without any runs….and focus the strike attack on the other end. Cook is in for 3 hours…he has scored 20 nruns…..so just keep him on strike because he is not going to hurt you.

2. Rooto Aug 25, 2015 / 8:51 pm

Very educational to a non-player like myself. I liked it a lot.
    Could Steve Smith’s seemingly irrational trigger movement across the stumps have a similar effect of “moving position in the crease” and putting the bowlers off their rhythm (as mentioned in the penultimate paragraph)?

3. Zephirine Aug 25, 2015 / 10:41 pm

Really interesting, especially for a technical ignoramus like me. Thank you and more please.

So all the lovely Sky money that the ECB puts into elite coaching isn’t exactly producing the right results in terms of batsmen of international standard. Funny that. Interesting that Moeen Ali, whose technique is much praised, was mostly coached by his father.

4. Mark Aug 25, 2015 / 10:49 pm

The analyst is going to be green with envy.

He’s been hawking his book about batting around all summer.

5. BoerInAustria Aug 26, 2015 / 4:37 am

Great Post. Thank you.

6. OscarDaBosca Aug 26, 2015 / 5:38 am

Excellent stuff, more please

7. Sean B Aug 26, 2015 / 6:51 am

Really enjoyed this piece and the conversation I had with Phillip on Twitter about Cook’s technique against spin. Very informative…

8. metatone Aug 26, 2015 / 6:58 am

Great Post.

It seems ironic to me – a bowler with technique as non-standard as Ballance would never have gotten through the England setup without someone trying to remould it.

I’m not actually a purist about technique, but it’s worrying that there are few in CC presenting an alternate choice to Ballance with better technique. Part of that would seem to be that the bowling in CC is not testing techniques enough?

9. Philip (@pgpchappers) Aug 26, 2015 / 8:23 am

Hi – glad people like the article, happy to do more as and when. I think it is slightly ironic that Simon Hughes (very much a bowler) has done a book on batting and not bowling. But I haven’t read it so I can’t comment more.

@man in a barrel – you sound like my Dad who has been saying the same for as long as I can remember.

My favourite stat I have seen is that Root scored 130 more runs than Cook, who faced 46 more balls during the last 5 tests. Root has a wider range of shots for sure and has been coming in later in the innings, but still 130 more runs from 46 less balls shows a simple area for Cook to work on.

This is going to be very necessary in the UAE or we will get rolled.

10. Craig Aug 26, 2015 / 7:35 pm

Enjoyed this very much. Interesting stuff.

11. Rob Aug 26, 2015 / 11:55 pm

While (any) effort to describe technique is to be applauded, the format of a short article does not do you any favours it i it also risks being too prescriptive (I cannot be the only one to think that your e – book might be improved if it deleted the wholesale references from Ed Smith)

You snark about Gary Ballance’s technique in a photo above yet you link to an Akash Chopra article 19 Aug 2015 on Cricinfo that lauds Sangakkara in a strikingly similar pose – what indeed is the difference between the two? Has the editor in Dmitri wrecked your copy?

You identify Boycott as having a very orthodox technique but you do not say how and why someone like Barry Richards was better (was it technique). Equally the Sky Sports style golf video analysis is perhaps limited in cricket – it might show why J Bairstow – when he gets it right – manages to approach technical perfection when hitting down the ground – it is limited when considering his awful foot movements and decisions when playing anything, spin or not.

And why are Yorkshire seemingly so successful with three flawed international batsmen in Lyth, Ballance and Bairstow in their ranks? Are they just less flawed than all the others, or something else?

12. Philip (@pgpchappers) Aug 27, 2015 / 8:57 am

Hi Rob – thanks for the comments – the book is always work in progress and is targeting something slightly different – i.e. a help manual for club players rather than anything else and not really relevant to this blog post, I don’t think. I can think about removing the Ed Smith links – although I would say his early work for me fits with some of the messages I was trying to get across, his cerebral waffle these days, I agree, doesn’t work, however, he is an experienced former cricketer who comes up with ideas when talking about technique that challenges perceived wisdom, I like that. I frequently don’t agree, but my mantra as a coach is to find what works for a player, not what works for me.

I hope that people don’t see this as me “snarking” about anyone, just pointing out something that I see. If you think I am wrong, no problem, how would you help a struggling batsman? Tell him to do what he has always done and get the same results or try something different to see if it works? If it doesn’t try something new.

Lyth, Ballance and Bairstow have done very well in first class cricket yet haven’t when facing top class bowling – what does that say to you? To me is says they are decent players but the step up to Test cricket is vast. Sam Robson should be added to that list too to avoid any Yorkshire bias.

I haven’t talked about Lyth’s issues which appear to be largely mental rather than technical.

I have not linked anything to Aakash in the above commentary and have used photo’s in the post to illustrate the point, videos would be better but were impractical and difficult to some by unless I film myself which I haven’t been able to do here.

I am grateful that Dmitri asked me to turn a rant into a guest post and as far as I can tell hasn’t noticeably touched the commentary.

As for Barry Richards – I will enjoy spending some time looking at videos of him bat, the Boycott picture is just for fun and to show that batting techniques haven’t changed that much in 30 years. People just think it has.

It would be interesting to do an analysis of Boycott vs Richards – one for another day perhaps.

13. thebogfather Aug 27, 2015 / 3:43 pm

I’m hoping to scribble a review of the recent Barry Richards biog by Andy Murtagh sometime soon for Outside2 on here…. my favourite ever batsman and a wonderful insightful read of much more than the player.