Get The Popcorn

But an ECB spokesman later sought to clarify the comment, adding: “Colin Graves is correct. Nothing has changed – only players who are playing consistent high-quality county cricket and who are seen as a positive influence will be selected for England.”

I say. Did I miss that second part in Graves’s first statement….

The force remains strong.

Ali Martin was the reporter on The Guardian.

There’s a million and one things to say about this, but let’s try to be brief as it is a Sunday night and I need to be up for work in the morning.

This is an interesting development. We sort of know how this works. Someone puts something out there, the reaction isn’t as expected and they reel it back it in. You saw that with the Peter Moores interview in Sri Lanka alluding to Cook’s fate, then the Muppet Director, Downton, reeled it back in, before the coup de grace was implemented later in the week.

Colin Graves is not in charge yet, but don’t be fooled. Paul Downton managed to start his job before he was officially in place. Graves is running the show, or at least he should be. The comments he made today were out of the side of his mouth, saying he’d back the selectors etc.but also trying to distance himself a little from the excommunication by saying if KP did “this and that” he may get a look-in.

KP adroitly jumped all over that, and within a few hours the ECB threw Graves under the bus and propped up the crumbling edifice. Make no mistake, they have undermined the new CEO. So if one was a conspiracy theorist, one could say there was a power play at play in the ECB. You can’t tell me that leak of the “think the unthinkable” document wasn’t done for some purpose. This is an organisation rotten to the core in its upper echelons, and it needs rooting out. Graves isn’t some white knight, but don’t tell me this isn’t the old guard keeping the new upstart in check.

“Positive Influence.” How about Downton and Clarke for two abide by that? The ECB brand is seen as toxic. Toxicity is not positive influence. These two have presided over a disastrous year where they have been dismissive of the public, ignorant of the facts, and contemptuous of feedback. They exude the arrogance of the infallible, when they have feet made of clay. Their appointment of Moores and backing of Cook was evidence of their brilliance in their own minds. Cook was sacrificed as ODI captain a few days after his MD backed him. Moores is living on borrowed time, with Cook probably really cheesed off over the ODI nonsense.

Graves is going to regret not ditching Clarke, and you can mark my words on that one. He might need to look at Downton, but goodness knows what he has to do to get the chop.

An organisation that amazes, continues to do so. It’s bonkers. We “outside cricket” sit here and just think “we’ve not been proved wrong yet by these clowns.”

21 thoughts on “Get The Popcorn

1. Arron Wright Mar 1, 2015 / 10:09 pm

• Arron Wright Mar 1, 2015 / 11:00 pm

Now I’ve stopped laughing, here’s the most interesting P.I. tweet so far:

• Arron Wright Mar 1, 2015 / 11:02 pm

I know our host doesn’t need this suggestion, but I implore you all to check out Innocent Bystander on Twitter, asap.

• Arron Wright Mar 1, 2015 / 11:21 pm

I know I have a one-track mind where he is concerned. But can I say, for probably the one and only time, that I liked him on TMS and – while never ever feeling comfortable with all the sycophancy – enjoyed his columns until 2012.

Someone could just as easily say to him: “Remind me who your close friends are in the England set up post-2009. Remind me where you sent your kids to school and who else went there. Remind me who you played for and whose career(s) overlapped with yours.”

He is the embodiment of the “inside cricket” attitude in everything he writes and says, he has completely and utterly failed in his basic duty to a large percentage of his readership, he’s fed us two and a half years of this dung and – however well-informed – still isn’t even close to making his case. And I loathe it.

• Simon K Mar 2, 2015 / 1:59 am

Nothing to add to Arron’s last comment other than that Ali Martin seems to be a fair reporter who has already excised the ECB spin that Andy Wilson put in his articles, so I wish him well.

2. Arron Wright Mar 1, 2015 / 10:11 pm

3. Arron Wright Mar 1, 2015 / 10:13 pm

4. Arron Wright Mar 1, 2015 / 10:14 pm

5. Mark Mar 1, 2015 / 10:17 pm

Interesting criteria ” only players who are playing consistent high-quality county cricket and who are seen as a positive influence will be selected for England.”

So how many of the current team have been playing “consistent quality county cricket?”

And the ECB should define positive influence? Does that include running fake Twitter accounts from inside the dressing room mocking a fellow player? This all sounds like the corporate bollocks and speak your weight laptop theory Moores is involved with.

Stick a fork in Downton and Moores, they’re done!

• Simon K Mar 2, 2015 / 2:02 am

It’s an interesting statement indeed, not least because Flower and Fletcher were of the firm and non-secret view that “high-quality county cricket” is an oxymoron.

6. SimonH Mar 1, 2015 / 10:28 pm

7. Rohan Mar 1, 2015 / 11:25 pm

I agree with our host ‘we’ve not been proved wrong yet by these plonkers’ in fact I would say we have been proved right, emphatically and many times over, on all manner of issues. But most importantly we have been proved right, in that the ECB is toxic and the current management is destroying our game, hell, their own leaking, which they don’t do, is now even destroying themselves. ‘Pop will eat itself’, well maybe the ECB WILL EAT ITSELF……..

8. Boz Mar 1, 2015 / 11:42 pm

to add insult to injury, it is believed that England cricketers will be revising for their stats exams over the next week – Reuters

9. Mark Mar 2, 2015 / 7:35 am

All ex England captains who have been ‘scolded’ by Downton should immediately have badges printed saying “I was scolded by a moron.”

What this shows is how desperate the ECB is, and how much effort they put into public relations. They think the public can be fooled by dishonest cheer leading into believing up is down, and war is peace. It reveals the whole operation last summer to prop up Cook. It is now clear this was a major PR agenda, with people like Warne being told what he could say.

The big mistake many cricket journalists and ex players have made is because of their hatred of KP (which they have a right to believe) have aligned themselves with the ECB totally. It’s a classic case of my enemy’s enemy is my friend. What they have failed to see is that their enemy’s enemy is a much bigger threat to the game of cricket. Just Because you don’t want KP in the team doesn’t mean you have to prostrate yourself at the feet of a lousy coach and management structure.

10. Rooto Mar 2, 2015 / 7:42 am

Woke up to all this. Feels like the endgame is near, at least if the Banglas play their part. I imagine Selvey to be sleeping fitfully.

• Boz Mar 2, 2015 / 8:13 am

Isn’t it about time that Selvey told us all about his experiences playing 3 (three) tests for England 40 years ago – the good bits and the bad bits – you know, provide us all with the massive experiential basis for his current obnoxious behaviour towards fans?

11. SimonH Mar 2, 2015 / 10:17 am