Loyalty

Selfey has an article up on the guardian re Graves.

His loyalty to Downton is touching.

Please read. Then vent here. Linking from the mobile is hard so if anyone can post the link in the comments I’d be grateful.

UPDATE – I have some keyboard access so thought I’d do some more for the blog. I can’t cut and paste (yet) here so you will have to wait until this evening.

Selfey’s article is almost beyond parody. I think he’s trolling his audience. I refuse to believe that he thinks Downton has any room to complain about the treatment he might receive or that he is any kind of victim here. Then to refer to Graves as not being malicious and that Downton thinks this is a careless statement is hilarious. Downton, he of outside cricket and not knowing a confidentiality agreement’s restrictions, is in a position to offer any verdict, even through his mouthpiece? This is la-la land we are dealing with.

Watching his c-i-f moderators lock into mortal combat with people criticising a journalist’s integrity, the day after Selfey “joke” texted Hoult about the way he’d written up the Graves article is another act of wonderful hilarity. I know they are two different modes of communication, but he’s not abiding by his own standards. No change there.

Also, disparaging Pietersen as a pest, a fruit fly is another piece of utter nonsense. Name calling eh? Beyond the pale except when I do it!

The usual nonsense making this about KP when the ECB are the question is just par for the course. Some buffoon called humptydumpty, already linked to in the comments below, called the pro-KP lobby “woodlice” which is just beautiful. Another who never applauded his tons, his great deeds on the field and bought the rumours of his “conduct” hook, line and sinker. It’s tiresome. Amazing how when you frame it the way we do and argue back, especially on Twitter, the anti-KP lot have little to rest on. “So you think Moores is a good appointment?” “So Downton has done a brilliant job?” “That Whitaker, does he fill you with confidence?” “Pleased with Giles Clarke, are you?” “Hey, how about David Saker? He’s done a top job with the bowlers?” “Hasn’t Alastair Cook done well since that tour?” and “aren’t you pleased that you are viewed as “outside cricket” by the people who need your money to survive?”

Putting it like this, the future of a talented batsman near the end of his career is a footnote. One day these people may lose their blindness caused by rage, and see the big picture.

But, given Nash has said she’ll give everything she owns to charity if KP plays for England again, I say pick him. It’d be worth it!

More to follow later.

69 thoughts on “Loyalty

• @pktroll Mar 2, 2015 / 11:59 am

I rather think Downton has spent the last year and a bit undermining himself. I almost feel a little sorry for Moores, a guy promoted above his abilities and having to deal with a decision made on high regarding Cook’s future in both forms of the game. Downton was the emperor who fiddled while Rome burned.

• Annie Weatherly-Barton Mar 2, 2015 / 6:57 pm

A journalist he is not (nor ever will be) but he is a lot of other things one begins with an A and ends in E!

• hatmallet Mar 2, 2015 / 11:42 am

2 minutes out…

1. hatmallet Mar 2, 2015 / 11:48 am

“Meanwhile Graves, a successful man used to getting his own way, will likely be reflecting on how he might approach media relations in future. A good starting point might be a crash course in the pitfalls.”

Has Downton had that crash course yet?

• LordCanisLupus Mar 2, 2015 / 11:59 am

The gags write themselves. Selfey in prime form. As are the moderators.

• Annie Weatherly-Barton Mar 2, 2015 / 6:58 pm

Not half me Lord. My post lasted all of 2 minutes! I think the moderator might have my number!!!

2. dlpthomas Mar 2, 2015 / 11:56 am

What is the hierarchy within English cricket? Does Graves actually have the power to sack anyone. And if does, does anyone have his mobile number because I have a list for him

3. julie Mar 2, 2015 / 11:59 am

What a pitiful nasty little man Selvey has become.Yes, I’m calling him names.If he can call my friend a ” fruit fly” then I will do some name calling too.He doesn’t quite know how to handle Colin Graves does he.After all it won’t be long before he will be answering to him.The sooner Downton and Whittaker face up to their disastrous mistakes the sooner we can start mending Eng cricket.I’m sure, should KP be given the chance to play for England, he will find a way.He has never given up the hope of closing off his career and he should be given the opportunity to do so.So Mr Selvey go and wash your mouth out with soap and watch a magnificent batsman playing for his and your country.

• Annie Weatherly-Barton Mar 2, 2015 / 7:03 pm

Right on! Nasty horrid miscreant. Well as I said before my comment was modded, if he carries on having a go at Mr Graves he might find himself on the “outside” of cricket with all of us. He certainly won’t receive a nice handshake from me I can tell yer.

Being the cynic I am I think this is a ruse from Mr Graves and a shot across he bow of the ECB idiots who caused England to go even further down the pan that when this rumble first started.

All these miscreants need to go. Start again and get some decent people to run England Cricket.

4. Arron Wright Mar 2, 2015 / 12:10 pm

There is no fucking way I am posting below any more articles by that contemptible, despicable excuse for a cricket “journalist”.

I would appreciate it if someone could therefore try posting the following [the part between square brackets] on my behalf, add their own comments if they see fit, and see how long it lasts:

“I know that David Hopps would agree with me here, that certain sections of our illustrious press corps and their extraordinarily opinion-based reporting of the Kevin Pietersen saga earlier on in the year: I thought that it was a low, a massive low in terms of journalism in the country, whereby basically respected writers took a side and failed to report the story and the facts as they occurred. That would be the real low in a year of lows.”

Mark Butcher, “fringe idiot and know-nothing”, on behalf of those “outside cricket”, 17 December 2014. Link here: go to 26:00.

]

• OscarDaBosca Mar 2, 2015 / 12:43 pm

Hey Arron, I gave it a go. I reckon it has 10 minutes before being modded

• Arron Wright Mar 2, 2015 / 12:56 pm

Cheers!

Six recs in 11 minutes and still there: exciting!

(I did post the transcript sometime around Christmas, probably when Cook was sacked, maybe when MS did his annual round-up which included That 95 and Strauss calling KP a c**t, but ignored Brendon McCullum)

• d'Arthez Mar 2, 2015 / 1:40 pm

Still up, with 14 recommends. Pity you have to log in now to upvote (I don’t have an account). Wholeheartedly agree.

• OscarDaBosca Mar 2, 2015 / 5:00 pm

Ha, they must find it soon… I have just found out that Selfey has blocked me from following him on Twitter. Maybe it was this comment ‘@GeorgeDobell1 as a proper journo, can you find out ‘given the strength of their case against Pietersen’ what @selvecricket alludes to?’ that annoyed him.

5. Rooto Mar 2, 2015 / 12:10 pm

Don’t know how long a lot of those comments will last for. Probably until daybreak in New Zealand. Anybody got a way of keeping the fruitier ones recorded elsewhere?

Interesting to see that with this article, Selvey seems to be burning some ECB bridges. Even the Guardian management will then ask themselves what he is good for. If Graves survives (and why wouldn’t he?), and Downton is on borrowed time (as we all hope he is), then Selvey will surely be leafing through Auckland real estate brochures very shortly.

• LordCanisLupus Mar 2, 2015 / 12:12 pm

Got your one copied. Think it might go. I’ve got a few copied.

• hatmallet Mar 2, 2015 / 12:19 pm

Some outstanding comments. Was pleasantly surprised by them, but I guess the mods haven’t got going yet. Only a few gone so far.

• Rooto Mar 2, 2015 / 2:52 pm

I’m honoured. Of course, I tried to phrase it to avoid moderation, but we all know that’s probably wasted effort. Poor old Annie seems to have been picked on by the mods, and I think it was loss shakers who said “Proctologist for Mr Downton!” I laughed at that, but it soon went.

I agree that it’s beyond parody. It’s time to go to that captioning site, and ‘do a Hitler’ on Selvey and his colleagues. The situation’s got that feel to it.

• Rooto Mar 2, 2015 / 3:12 pm

Came back to clarify: it was rolleyes, not loss shakers. And, I know they are now doing that thing where posts disappear without any sign that they were ever there.

6. ZeroBullshit Mar 2, 2015 / 12:29 pm

What a revolting article, even by Selvey’s standards! I have called him a “nasty piece of work” a couple of times before. Frankly, he is sick in the head, full of delusions and mindless hatred. He will probably get sacked soon like his pal Derek Pringle.

• Zephirine Mar 2, 2015 / 1:16 pm

I think Mike Selvey is one of the casualties of the recent England regime. He used to be a good writer of opinion pieces and an amiable presence on the Guardian pages. Somewhere along the line he started seeing the world through lenses apparently made up for him by Flower & Saker Ltd. Since then, he’s become more and more defensive and intolerant of any disagreement, let alone criticism. His writing style has been extraordinary on occasion, convoluted and almost incomprehensible. And then, having been the first to frame the KP/Flower situation in terms of ‘only one of them can stay’, he’s tied himself in knots justifying the decision that was taken.

I don’t wish anyone to lose their job but I feel he would do well to move away from the ECB bubble before it bursts in his face. Perhaps he could write a series of articles on cricket around the world, or famous players of history…

• Zephirine Mar 2, 2015 / 1:26 pm

“I don’t wish anyone to lose their job” what am I saying, of course I do. But not necessarily Selvey.

• LordCanisLupus Mar 2, 2015 / 1:30 pm

I think you are being remarkably fair, Z. I never got that sense of amiability, especially to KP. My tipping point on that was on a post I wrote for one of my earliest blogs in 2007 when he had a go about KP’s celebration of a century v India. I just never had that “relationship”. I also accept I may have totally the wrong end of the stick too.

This last year his torch-holding for Flower, who I’ve not said a huge amount about on here, but there’s a large deal od chatter about his style, and Downton has been nauseating.. Telling me someone is great at a job before it has even been started puts my back up when most of us have to prove ourselves, and he did this with Downton who has been a joke from Day 1. That’s my problem.

• ZeroBullshit Mar 2, 2015 / 1:39 pm

Hi Zeph!

I have been aware of Selvey since his county days and have followed his journalistic and broadcasting career over the years. He was very good to begin with. But he deteriorated and there came a time when I could hear his arrogance and innuendos when summarizing at TMS. It is a great pity because he is actually very knowledgeable.

I no longer comment at the Guardian. But here is one of my last posts dated 8-9-14:

“On 1-2-14 I wrote:

Unlike some other posters, I have actually seen Mr. Mike Selvey play for England and have read his articles for a very long time. I also heard him numerous times when he worked for the BBC as a TMS summarizer.

At first he was a breath of fresh air. But little by little his journalism deteriorated. Now his journalism is laughable, and he has zero credibility with me and many other Guardian readers. A great shame because Mr. Selvey had potential.

It was true then and it is true now!”

Zero

• Arron Wright Mar 2, 2015 / 1:53 pm

zephirine, I think your post more or less sums up where I was on the subject of Selvey before and immediately after the KP sacking.

But *since* then we’ve had:

“Moores should come back” – no case made, so an awful lot of people came to a conclusion that still hasn’t been disproved (see link to original article yesterday)
        Telling a reader/commenter he was being impertinent to ask why Flower was with Whitaker at Edgbaston
        Ridiculous, thoroughly nauseating, hagiography re Alastair Cook, over and over again
        Blatant favouritism towards James Anderson, even over the Jadeja incident
        Blatant bias against others, notably Sam “anonymous in the field” Robson, James “benefited from charity” Taylor, or Ian Bell, whose slow 50 against Scotland was criticised more than all four of Gary Ballance’s disasters put together.
        Nasty, small-minded references to Jonathan Trott.
        Inexplicable (or is it?) failure to put people like Paul Downton, David Saker or Peter Moores under any kind of scrutiny.
        More insults for readers who disagree, on Twitter or BTL. No attempt to distinguish between abuse and valid criticism; certainly no attempt to address the latter.
        That terrible Pietersen article last October, which provided no evidence that he’d actually read the book, but did include the lines that for me destroyed any credibility he had left, i.e.: “the case against him goes way beyond the pathetic leaked charge sheet” and “I do know the intention was to have feted him properly after the dust settled”. Cue unprecedented moderation frenzy.
        That review of the year (mentioned further up)
        The way he reported on the Clarke/Graves issue: not just frighteningly at odds with Nick Hoult and George Dobell, but purely and simply a mouthpiece for the ECB line. Simon H or K (I forget which, sorry) said this was one of the most Pravdaesque things they’d ever seen in the Guardian.

And just before the sacking, we had his sickening appeasement of Clarke, Srinivasan and the Big 3, along with the gobsmacking revelation (on his own Twitter feed) that the Guardian had the ICC position paper and chose not to run it. FFS.

I have completely run out of patience. At every turn, he is using his privileged position to further the ECB’s agenda, promote certain players/individuals and discredit or disparage others. His consistent devotion to this cause in the face of changing events is frankly staggering (and pretty much explains that convoluted writing style).

• Zephirine Mar 2, 2015 / 2:19 pm

Hi ZB! Arron and LordCL as well – thanks for the responses. I’m not on Twitter and I’d guess that makes a difference, Selvey seems to be at his most annoying on there.

I totally understand people’s decision not to post on the G any more. I still like to pop up there every now and then, just so the Smug Brigade don’t think they’ve won and chased me off.

• ZeroBullshit Mar 2, 2015 / 2:29 pm

He is certainly annoying on Twitter as well and unlikely to change. He has gone too far to be able to return to the path of honesty, integrity, truthfulness and plain speaking.

• Zephirine Mar 2, 2015 / 2:26 pm

And yes, Arron, when you list it like that it is quite a charge-sheet….

• Boz Mar 2, 2015 / 2:27 pm

amazed – Selvey is an Andrew Strauss. Fullstop

• Tuffers86 Mar 2, 2015 / 5:47 pm

Arron. That is quite the charge sheet in the past year, but I was done with him on this point:

RE position paper: ‘Apparently it didn’t seem important’.

Just look at the way Andy Bull (what’s happened to him?) in The Spin was left to pick up the pieces. He was shafted big time by what I thought at the time was Malaise. Today’s piece confirms that he is establishment and didn’t want to rock what was brewing before jumping the Downtown bandwagon. What a lickspittle.

This came about four months after the Snowden Files. A year on and its the HSBC behemoth. What the feckity feck, man?

Zeph says above that he doesn’t want to someone to lose their job, but by god if I was Rushbridger, I would’ve questioned what the frig was going on after a day or two. It wasn’t like the English media corp were on it like a rash.

7. Annie Weatherly-Barton Mar 2, 2015 / 1:03 pm

Selvey utterly disgusts me: KP, “a fruit fly, a pest that will not go away!” KP wasn’t getting involved in England. He was already committed to IPL and Caribbean stuff. Selvey really is a nasty piece of work. If he carries on like this he will soon be on the “Outside” as an enemy of Graves!!! Oh bring it on.

8. d'Arthez Mar 2, 2015 / 1:05 pm

Fruit-fly? A pest? Is such language in an opinion piece even legally permissible?

Can someone please report to the NHS and the security services that any utterance by Mike Selfey is a health hazard, and should not be permitted in the public domain, due to public health concerns?

Graves says things, and he is painted as a know-nothing, and almost certifiable legally incapable, though Selfey has to begrudgingly concede that Graves knows a thing or two about running a business.

Downton, who has thus far displayed the mental capabilities of a goldfish (apologies to goldfish for that), is painted up to be a decisive, and highly competent, and integer character.

Never mind sack-gate (KP and Cook), never mind, blabbering his mouth of despite confidentiality agreements, never mind telling the selectors what they can’t and can’t do. Never mind putting Warne, and a bunch of ex-England captains in place … Never mind the fact that Downton basically was AWOL for a mere seven month.

Graves needs to start firing procedures for a few people. The entire PR-department would be a modest start. When your average Samoan rugby reporter, or a Norwegian chess reporter, will do a better job than Selfey, Newman, and the rest of their ilk, despite not knowing a thing about cricket, you know you have a massive credibility problem.

English cricket: is it snafu or fubar?

9. Arron Wright Mar 2, 2015 / 1:05 pm

Blimey, what did JamesSilkDavey say? Modded in less than 4 minutes.

JamesSilkDavey 4m ago

This comment was removed by a moderator because it didn’t abide by our community standards. Replies may also be deleted. For more detail see our FAQs.

• Silk Mar 2, 2015 / 2:04 pm

I pointed out that it was a sad state of affairs that journalism has been reduced to this.

The Guardian don;t care what Selvey writes, because he gets clicks and clicks are cash

Selvey is deliberately trolling his own readers now. It’s gone beyond the point where this was about cricket, or anything other than Selvey’s ego

We love it, because we can vent below the line.

The whole thing is incredibly sad.

(As a wider point, journalism is all about clickbait and sensation these days. ’twas always thus, but the decline of newspaper sales means no one wants to invest in proper journalism, Though to be fair to G., they have tried with HSBC and Snowden)

• Boz Mar 2, 2015 / 2:33 pm

the guardian is nothing more than a controlling device for the elites. it has long lost any stance on investigative journalism. it doesn’t care about the poor or the downtrodden and lives off its own propaganda based world view, loves trash and celebrity more than real people in real situations. It’s policy of only having one cricket article at any one time open for comment confirms their rigid approach and stupidty.

• Arron Wright Mar 2, 2015 / 3:23 pm

I see maxfisher has gone for the acid test: quoting Selvey/the Guardian directly on Pietersen/Moores in 2009. As previously linked by your good self, only to be vaporised (not just modded) every time.

Let’s see how it fares this time.

• Zephirine Mar 2, 2015 / 1:29 pm

hd is a troll, though often quite an amusing one. Has a carefully constructed online persona which is mostly, or entirely, fictional. Ignore.

• SimonH Mar 2, 2015 / 3:15 pm

“Ignore”. Gladly.

Does anyone know what the unfailingly polite and generous carsonmccullers posted that was modded within half an hour?

• Arron Wright Mar 2, 2015 / 3:29 pm

Some poor sod called Martin_2015 went inside two minutes!

10. keyserchris Mar 2, 2015 / 1:43 pm

Nash has been banging on to anyone who will listen that Pietersen posted a picture of his genitals on twitter last thursday. Sadly, no-one will listen to her & nor does she realise it was a just a picture of a naked fat bloke nicked from the internet used to have a dig at her favourite Piers… It’s been quite fun watching her flail about the last 24 hours.

11. Burly Mar 2, 2015 / 1:44 pm

“Downton has been with the team and is currently on his way back home, and it will be an interesting meeting when he and Graves next get together.

Downton takes no offence, thinks it was merely something clumsily expressed and in no way malicious, but it is grist to the mill at a bad time.”

If ever you wanted proof that he’s just the eager and willing mouthpiece for certain sections of the ECB, those “quotes” and how they’re worded should leave you in no doubt.

12. Vian Mar 2, 2015 / 3:35 pm

Well this has been an interesting day. Watching the Selvey stuff is always a giggle.

I note that Nick Hoult emphasised on Twitter that Colin Graves wouldn’t backtrack on what he said when he spoke to him.

If I was Downton I would be starting to cast an eye over the job classifieds, it seems a very specific and deliberate thing to have said.

Ultimately I’m bored with feeling so cynical about everything the ECB says and does. Graves isn’t the messiah, but he does at least offer hope that things might improve.

13. SimonH Mar 2, 2015 / 3:44 pm

The Chelmsford Cosa Nostra speaks:

So, to sum up –
    Q: Should England recall Kevin Pietersen?
    A: No – the IPL gets in the way.
    Q: So if he’d pull out of the IPL, should England recall Kevin Pietersen?
    A: No.

14. Vian Mar 2, 2015 / 3:51 pm

I may as well put it here too, but someone on the Telegraph suggested England’s batting wasn’t the problem, so I did an analysis of a random selection of teams since SL’s tour of England last year. I based it on the average score in the first innings (i.e. not chasing which skews the stats).

It came out that in that time the average scores were:

New Zealand 296
    Sri Lanka 256 (including their second string tour of India)
    Australia 255
    England 237

That’s a big gap.

15. lionel joseph Mar 2, 2015 / 4:17 pm

I’m not sure the modding on the guardian site is as unfair as you think. Quite simply, if you attack the author, rather than the opinion, you get deleted. It’s a job a pretty junior member of staff will have, and there’s probably not time for too much analysis of the content of the post.

I’ve seen a range of top quality posts get deleted today, which is a great shame.

• Arron Wright Mar 2, 2015 / 5:02 pm

I do take your point, although on occasions I honestly don’t think it’s that consistent. The MS piece after Pietersen’s book was *the* classic example, although some of the decisions in August 2012 beggared belief as well – my favourite was a post below a cricket editorial that was allowed to stand for two full days, but was then modded just before it reached 1,000 recommendations.

What really bugs people is that the writer is allowed to be as subjective and selective as he wants, he’s also allowed his little ad hominems (or, as with Strauss, tacit approval of others’ ad hominems), and his approach to this particular issue has never, ever been constructive at all. So, however closely aligned to the Guardian policy the moderation might be, it reeks of the same double standards and hideous snobbery that many commenters are complaining about in the first place.

I really cannot think of anything that has wound me up this much about a newspaper’s coverage of sport. As Butch said, it’s a massive low, and he was only talking about 2014. We’ve actually had over two and a half years of it at the Guardian.

• Vian Mar 2, 2015 / 5:09 pm

Did you see his tweets to Nick Hoult and Mike Walters last night? Quite astoundingly bitter.

• northernlight71 Mar 2, 2015 / 8:01 pm

I’m stuck in pre-moderation on the GU now, thanks to some comments I’ve made in a very general way about journalists being mouthpieces for their friends rather than conducting any proper analysis or showing any insight.
        As someone who’s commented pretty consistently without any problems since 2003, I wonder if they have ever stopped to think that perhaps it isn’t their readers that are the problem these days…..

• Arron Wright Mar 2, 2015 / 5:10 pm

By the way, almost one in four posts on page 2 have been deleted (14/60).

That’s pathetic, for an article about sport. I’m sorry, it really is.

• Boz Mar 2, 2015 / 6:47 pm

you are not saying it’s okay for Selvey to abuse commenters are you – because he does it far too frequently, and probably more so on twitter as i understand it – yet it is the commenters who get removed – highlights whose side the guardian is on – pathetic paper – Selvey is a pig or see above

16. Mark Mar 2, 2015 / 4:53 pm

Of course what Dipstick Selvey has unwittingly revealed is that it is he and his chums who are all about KP. He and his munchkin followers have always claimed it is us who are obsessed by KP

Essentialy what he is saying today Is the new head of the ECB will be judged on only one issue. Namely should KP play for England. That is Selvey’s only consideration about Graves and Downton. Will they do as Selvey demands and keep KP out of the side. It’s pathetic and shows how completely blinkered he is and how small minded he is. England are currently capitulating in a major competition and Selvey is only concerned about a player who is not in the team. If ever you wanted proof that Selvey is pathologically obsessed by one man this is it.

Moores Downton Cook Strauss are all eulogised because they wanted KP out. That is his only criteria. The man is a one trick pony.

17. SimonH Mar 2, 2015 / 5:18 pm

Nick Hoult on top form again:

Maybe Selvey can send another tweet accusing Hoult of bias and self-interest (pot to kettle…..) and then try to pass it off as harmless banter?

Hoult reckons that Pietersen will have no trouble finding a county if he wants one (probably Somerset – although he claims Surrey are not out of it either which is not how others have reported their position). His point that part of Graves’ motivation may have been to keep the door open with potential replacement coaches who won’t take the job if they’re told who they can and can’t select is also an interesting one. Has Gillespie/Collingwood moved a step closer?

By the way, Moores seems to have ducked the media after the SL defeat. Has he appeared and I’ve missed it? Did we play like blokes? Seriously, if he hasn’t – to use his own phrase – fronted up and sent out young players like Root to face the music instead then it becomes even more like Flower never went away.

• SimonH Mar 2, 2015 / 7:04 pm

George Dobell’s latest has a beauty on the last point:

” Paul Downton was originally pencilled in to take this press conference”. Well, well, well – what happened to him? “They no longer trust some of those in management to defuse situations”.

So would using Root work? “The ECB might as well have thrown out a piece of meat…. It was a desperate ploy. The ECB knew full well that a report leading with Joe Root’s century would be like leading a report into the sinking of Titanic by noting that the band played beautifully”.

Just when you think that maybe, just maybe, they can’t sink any lower…..

18. Arron Wright Mar 2, 2015 / 5:22 pm

An actual cricket journalist expresses an opinion on the article:

Not just us nutters then, part 94…

Meanwhile, I haven’t seen many comments calling him out for this bit:

“That would be inappropriate even if he had taken up his role as chairman but that does not happen for a couple of months.”

Whereas of course it *was* appropriate for his mate Downton to take one-sided soundings concerning Pietersen, in advance of taking up his job as MD on 1 February 2014.

• LordCanisLupus Mar 2, 2015 / 5:27 pm

Lizzy is not a fan of my work but she favourited a tweet of mine on this. Well someone linking to this.

19. Boz Mar 2, 2015 / 6:57 pm

Just keep the pressure on them everyone – it’s a political act and it appears things could get a little tasty – i do not/will not read the sun or mail at all but where are all the other little hod carriers? Can we get a meeting with Graves? What was that old maxim – each epoch sows the seeds of its own downfall ….mr clarke … yes, mr downton …. ah, my flower …. ahha mr whittacker and, of course, .. mr moores …..

20. Silk Mar 2, 2015 / 8:22 pm

This is ABSOLUTELY FRICKING AWESOME!!!!

I’m like an excited little kid. It really does feel like Dowton is about to be ‘outside cricket’. And Selvey too, perhaps, if Graves is calling the shots.

• northernlight71 Mar 2, 2015 / 10:09 pm

Ladies and gentlemen, it seems Taylor Swift has taken up residence on the blog! šŸ˜‰

You’re right, too . . . šŸ™‚