Day of Protest

With the fifth Test due to get under way, the ECB have been slapping themselves on the back at a job well done and as usual the media have been all too complicit in ignoring the wider issues.

There is nothing quite so important, nor quite so scandalous, as the power grab by the Big Three of world cricket, to take over the ICC, and to award themselves the bulk of the revenues, while emasculating every other cricketing nation whether Test playing or Associate. It is the subject of the recently released film, Death of a Gentleman, for which you can read our review both of the film and the issues it raises here:

Those who have seen the film are angry. Those who know what it’s about are angry. Those who read our post on it are angry too. Yet the constant frustration has been that the authorities neither listen, nor care what the fans think. As Gideon Haigh pointed out, supporters are there purely to be exploited.

Jarrod Kimber and Sam Collins, who made the film always intended it to be the catalyst for those who love the game and who have supported it both financially and with their time to raise their voices in protest at what our own boards, created to protect the game, are doing in their own selfish interest and with no regard for anything or anyone else.

The film was the first step, the creation of the http://www.changecricket.com website and @changecricket Twitter account another.

The cry of the disenfranchised is always “what can I do?” so to that end, this Thursday on the first day of the fifth Test at the Oval, there will be a silent protest mourning the death of cricket as we know it.

All who wish to register their objections to the theft of our game by those who care only for power and money are invited to attend. At 10am, a three minute silence (one minute for each of the England, Australia and India boards) will be held at the Hobbs Gate outside the ground.

The protest is being supported by Jamie Fuller and Damian Collins MP, both of whom have been part of the campaign against corruption at FIFA in recent times. Paul Burnham of the Barmy Army will also be there.

Even if not attending the match, the organisers ask that anyone in the area who can make it for an hour come along and show support for this most important of causes. Sam and Jarrod have suggested fans wear their country’s colours, but the most important thing is to get a good attendance, and then maybe even the cricket press who have in large part (the exceptions know who they are) remained silent.

This is our game, and while we might argue until we’re blue in the face about issues like Kevin Pietersen, the point is that we want to be able to argue about it in the future, and there’s no guarantee we will be able to.

The greedy, self-interested bastards at the BCCI, ECB and CA are stealing our sport. It’s time to stop them.

image

image

@BlueEarthMngmnt
@DmitriOld
@OutsideCricket

66 thoughts on “Day of Protest

1. Mark Aug 18, 2015 / 2:39 pm

I fear that unless the nations outside the big 3 break away from the ICC and form their own association nothing will be able to stop the theft of cricket.

If nations can’t organise, and then stand up to the bully boys it’s unlikely any protest by fans will have much effect. The only protest they will listen to domestically is from home fans not buying tickets. And there are so many people and corporates who will buy the tickets anyway (especially in an Ashes summer) that they can ignore any protest. Also as they have a large section of the corrupt media on board they can air brush away any gatherings.

Good luck to those who turn out and try, but very few of these football protests achieve much success. I wish it were not the case, but these so called owners of the game only listen to one thing, namely money.

English cricket is nortoiroiously conservative, and right now they are in full jingo mood. Don’t be surprised if there is a very heavy police presence there. I know this is a peaceful protest, but This whole test match has been turned into a Royal event. A coronation of Cook. An opportunity for some deeply unpleasant characters to ram it down our throats. Disobedience will not be tolerated. Keep it friendly folks. I don’t trust the other side one bit.

• escort Aug 18, 2015 / 8:49 pm

If English cricket is notoriously conservative then perhaps we can expect the notoriously left leaning BBC to cover this protest in full and use it as their main news story for the day?

• Mark Aug 18, 2015 / 9:42 pm

What’s it got to do with the BBC?

You seem to have a fetish about the BBC. The BBC is not left wing. It’s head is an ex Tory Minster. It’s political editor joined the young Tory party at university. It’s day time political presenter in a staunch Thatcherite and used to edit the Sunday Times.

News night is presented by someone who used to work in the City of London and has argued for more privatisations. I could go on and on. Up and till recently it’s motoring programme was presented by a staunch Tory who is a mate of the prime minister.

Anybody who thinks the BBC is left wing is not paying attention.

• Zephirine Aug 18, 2015 / 10:49 pm

It used to be left-wing back in the day, but most of the old lefties went off and set up entrepreneurial independent production companies, drifting rightwards until they could sell their company and retire rich. The BBC hasn’t been left-wing for a long time now.

On TMS they probably don’t even know what left-wing means.

• Badger Aug 18, 2015 / 11:15 pm

This hardly seems relevant to this blog, however I must say that I always think the claims of left wing bias by right wingers and right wing bias by left wingers means that the BBC must be treading a reasonably neutral line.

• Rooto Aug 19, 2015 / 5:11 am

I got the impression Escort was being ironic about the BBC covering the protest. Sadly, I feel that it would need to be enormous for it to pierce the bubble of self-congratulatory glee that English cricket is swimming (drowning?) in just now. However, from little acorns, etc. Good luck everyone.

• escort Aug 19, 2015 / 9:48 pm

Rooto is correct when he says I was being ironic. Just to add that if some think the BBC isn’t left leaning then why does it spend so much of the license fee on its news paper of choice every year. The guardian.

2. man in a barrel Aug 18, 2015 / 8:43 pm

If they have set up another greentop then I will switch my support to another nation. Cook and his muppets are due for another reaming. I hope they pick Anderson and he picks up a career-ending injury. I hope they pick Wood and his career is terminated. What will they do now?

• pktroll (@pktroll) Aug 18, 2015 / 8:50 pm

I’m sorry I don’t wish that on Wood by at all. I would slag off Anderson if he played and pulled up injured though his own ego not realising that the bigger picture would be his own longer term.

• Zephirine Aug 18, 2015 / 8:55 pm

Yes, you can’t wish anything against Wood surely.

I’d like to see Aus go for death or glory and serve up a repeat of Lord’s, just to point out what usually follows hubris.

Re the protest, I have mixed feelings, I think it’s a gesture that will increase solidarity among those who can get there to take part, but will achieve little or nothing. But I guess it’s seen as the beginning.

• man in a barrel Aug 18, 2015 / 10:29 pm

Tell that to the medical team who sent out Rankin, Plunkett, Simon Jones, Prior….

• man in a barrel Aug 18, 2015 / 10:32 pm

I expressed concerns about Wood playing with a cortisone injection at Trent Bridge….he should realise now that the medical team are not interested in his playing career longevity. He is just meatr for them to utilise. Unless he makes the call, he does not stand a chance of playing long-term. That is the English way. In some ways it would be better for his long-term future to play when injured and damage his ankle irreparably. That is how sick the game is now, as it is played by the ECB.

• escort Aug 18, 2015 / 8:52 pm

How sad.

• Neil Harris (@njhcricket) Aug 19, 2015 / 6:44 pm

Not anti England at all over here is it?
      How can you even think such nasty thoughts nevermind write them?

Happy with this bile on your bog Dmitri?

• LordCanisLupus Aug 19, 2015 / 8:57 pm

Your bile is welcome. I don’t generally moderate. I don’t block. I’m surprised you can get past the guff I write to make it to the comments. Someone point them out to you again?

A blog consists of the posts I write and TLG writes. When you comprehend this, maybe we can speak in a more civilised manner.

• Pam Nash Aug 20, 2015 / 7:55 am

You cannot be genuinely surprised, Neil, that someone on here wishes ‘career-ending injury’ on England players? It’s worth noting that all the venom on this blog, both from bloggers & commenters, comes from behind cloaks of anonymity…..so not only venomous but cowardly, too.
        It takes a special kind of anonymous coward to wish injury of any kind on a sportsman – it takes a special kind of blog where that person isn’t loudly, and universally, condemned for it. MIAB has found his true home.

• LordCanisLupus Aug 20, 2015 / 4:41 pm

Pseudonyms? You have a problem with pseudonyms? Is that all you got?

• thelegglance Aug 20, 2015 / 8:22 am

It’s the kind of blog where even those who make borderline libellous statements on twitter like you are allowed to comment.

Do you actually have anything to say about the post and the subjects it raises, either of you?

• Mark Aug 20, 2015 / 9:17 am

Ms Nash, you should have a word with the English medical dept. they have overseen the injuries to many English cricketers,. Even today they are about to put Mark Woods career in jeapody. Just so that your beloved movie idol can win a dead rubber test match.

As for your comments about anonymity, this is priceless since your side of the fence cheered on, and enjoyed much merriment at the KP genius account. To this day your little gang still pretend you don’t understand what having the password to a Twitter account means. Perhaps you could ask your mate what he really knew about it? Seeing as the person lived up the road from him (cough cough cough)

It’s all so funny and jolly when your lot are doing the dishing out isn’t it? Like booing a former England great. Oh how funny that was. You are a hypocrite, and you epitomise every thing that is shoddy and rotten in English cricket.

• thelegglance Aug 20, 2015 / 12:24 pm

Surely you already know Neil, given Pam told Steve James she knew who he was? Oh hang on, was that a flat out lie?

I note you didn’t answer my question.

• Neil Harris (@njhhcricket) Aug 20, 2015 / 12:30 pm

“Surely you already know Neil, given Pam told Steve James she knew who he was?”

Knew who who was?

As for the original blog, it’s a thoughtful and well written piece of which I can’t really add anything to, and wasn’t going to until I saw MIAB horrendous comment, which I now see has formed part of the next blog.

You really do not know when to stop. You have now convinced yourselves that the ECB are happy to ruin a blokes career just so England can win a test match despite Wood saying this “”At Lord’s I struggled a bit, so it might be the case that I’ll have to miss games or have that operation. But there’s a big game on Thursday which I want to be a part of, then a heavy schedule coming up after that.”
        You are spinning so much that you can no longer see the truth.

• thelegglance Aug 20, 2015 / 12:35 pm

Don’t pretend you don’t know what I’m talking about. You were part of that exchange.

As for the comments, this is how it works: people can comment as they see fit, and others can comment on those comments. There’s no requirement for anyone to agree, and allowing comments means nothing in terms of what this blog says and does. Your attempt to pick out one comment, ignoring everything else, and say “look. There, right there” is simply pathetic.

If you want to disagree with a poster, say so. If you want to generalise and label everyone else, then I’m to call it out as the bullshit that it is.

Or shall I call you anti-cricket for your failure to talk about more important things? If you really want to play that game, then I am quite happy to give it back to you in spades. If you want to talk about issues properly, then you are more than welcome to. It’s your call.

• Neil Harris (@njhhcricket) Aug 20, 2015 / 1:50 pm

“Don’t pretend you don’t know what I’m talking about. You were part of that exchange”

I’ve no idea who you are or what you are talking about.

I replied to one poster, I haven’t labelled anyone.

• thelegglance Aug 20, 2015 / 2:03 pm

Oh really? Apart from talking about the whole blog, apart from having a direct dig at one of the authors, apart from equating one comment with a section of a blog post saying something completely different?

Read your own posts back. You are being mendacious to say the least.

Either you debate the issues with those who make the comment, or you are simply trolling and misrepresenting. I’ll directly quote you “happy with this bile on your blog, Dmitri”, “you have now convinced yourselves ” (note plural) .

Smearing by association is the action of a coward incapable of arguing a case. You are doing exactly that. And I will point it out. You are welcome to debate issues here, do otherwise and I’ll pick you up on each time.

• Neil Harris (@njhhcricket) Aug 20, 2015 / 2:30 pm

“Read your own posts back. You are being mendacious to say the least”

I have absolutely no reason to, or haven’t lied. No who’s labelling people?

Oh come on. The same few posters comment on every blog, is it not unreasonable to come to the conclusion that you are all of similar opinion on most subjects. Put it this way you don’t actually see much debate on here. It is very much a clique’ .

By the way I searched for you on twitter the The Leg Glance, all that came up was Dmitri denying it was him. Made me smile that.

• thelegglance Aug 20, 2015 / 2:37 pm

Firstly, you follow me on Twitter already, secondly, my Twitter username is at the end of every post. One would have question the intelligence of doing a search for something different when it’s placed right in front of you.

As I said, smears by association are the actions of a coward with no argument.

So don’t “come on” me, your actions are written very clearly. If you want to debate issues, then you are welcome. If it was a clique then you wouldn’t be allowed to post here, but as you seem unable to comprehend, we don’t prevent people posting here.

Now one more time, debate the issues and stop the sweeping generalisations, misrepresentation and flat out lying.

• Neil Harris (@njhhcricket) Aug 20, 2015 / 2:54 pm

“One would have question the intelligence of doing a search for something different when it’s placed right in front of you”

My apologies, but I’m lost in the spiders web of aliases. Why don’t you all do something revolutionary and use one name, preferably your real one?

• Maxie Allen Aug 20, 2015 / 5:08 pm

Pam – is Pam Nash your real name? The one you use everyday? My point being that in view of your comment we need to be clear you are not being anonymous yourself.

Bloggers and internet commenters, by long tradition, use pen-names. And so does the mainstream press in many regards. For example, almost all of Private Eye is almost entirely anonymous.

3. Ian Aug 18, 2015 / 9:21 pm

At the start of the series my girlfriend asked me to put a bet on 3-2 to England for her. I hope it comes in.

4. SimonH Aug 18, 2015 / 10:20 pm

What are the odds on a full house of ECB-TV, TMS and what used to be the liberal press all ignoring the protest?

Has any MSM outlet reported it except the DT?

• Zephirine Aug 19, 2015 / 12:38 pm

It’s mentioned and supported by John Ashdown in the Guardian Spin column today.

• SimonH Aug 19, 2015 / 12:57 pm

Not in the version on the website – is it on the longer email version? (I’m not a subscriber).

Disappointing as well that Alec Stewart’s contribution is one of the sponsored ones.

I’m going to have to watch the entire pre-match build-up tomorrow just to see how ECB-TV deal with the protest. Grrrrrr.

• Zephirine Aug 19, 2015 / 4:45 pm

It’s in the email version:

#CHANGECRICKET
        If you’re at the Kia Oval on Thursday be sure to get there a little early and join those at the Hobbs Gate at 10am where Jarrod Kimber and Sam Collins, the men behind the excellent Death of a Gentlemen film and Change Cricket, have organised a three-minute protest: three minutes of silence to reflect on the way in which the boards of Australia, England and India have silenced the rest of world cricket. If you’re not there, stand in silence somewhere else and then join the call for improved governance in the game at Change Cricket. If you want more reason watch Death of a Gentleman and/or read Jarrod’s moving piece on the Change Cricket movement here

That last ‘here’ link goes to this: http://cricketwithballs.com/2015/08/15/stand-for-cricket/

Not bad eh? That Spin email must go out to quite a few people.

5. MM Aug 18, 2015 / 10:42 pm

If I was anywhere near London I would be there. In a heartbeat.

I hope it stirs summat up – peacefully, natch.

6. thebogfather Aug 19, 2015 / 5:42 am

Has the ‘Ashes Panel’ been disbanded in protest ? 🙂

• LordCanisLupus Aug 19, 2015 / 12:01 pm

The Ashes Panel will reform post this test. Not been enthused enough. According to some saying this is attention seeking. You can’t win.

7. wrongunatlongon Aug 19, 2015 / 6:40 am

Of course I agree with the sentiment, but one cannot help but feel that setting fire to Giles Clarke’s house might be a better start. Still, a start it is.

I think support for the protest really needs to gain traction in the nations like New Zealand and South Africa? These two have provided more oomph in international cricket than either Australia, England or India have since 2005. They are the ones who will be scrapping for, well, the scraps.

• thelegglance Aug 19, 2015 / 3:08 pm

Not even slightly surprised, but it’s shit journalism.

• Arron Wright Aug 19, 2015 / 3:15 pm

• thelegglance Aug 19, 2015 / 3:17 pm

Bet he won’t get an answer to that.

It is entirely unsurprising though. Not when he’s so close to the action as it were.

• Arron Wright Aug 19, 2015 / 4:37 pm

Turns out he did get an answer.

Mike was asked about the ICC. Not DOAG. So that’s you and Andy told.

• Arron Wright Aug 19, 2015 / 4:52 pm

He didn’t choose not to see it. He may do sometime. His personal agenda is not contingent on CWOTV.

“Personal agenda” is a direct quote btw.

• thelegglance Aug 19, 2015 / 4:55 pm

Crap. It’s been available for journalists to watch it in the comfort of their own home. He didn’t have to make any kind of effort to go to an event. If he hasn’t seen it, it’s because he didn’t want to.

8. Arron Wright Aug 19, 2015 / 2:47 pm

How many references is this now? I’ve lost count:

• Zephirine Aug 19, 2015 / 7:23 pm

Any normal reader would interpret that as:
        “It means Being Outside Cricket – a small gang of bloggers (including Maxie from The Full Toss) who wrote some absolute guff this past 2 weeks.”

if you’re now saying that what you meant was:
        “It means Being Outside Cricket. Meanwhile, a small gang of bloggers, including Maxie from The Full Toss, wrote some absolute guff this past 2 weeks.”

then perhaps you need to focus on getting your parentheses in the right areas.

9. Arron Wright Aug 19, 2015 / 5:00 pm

By the way, if you want the perfect illustration of what Tregaskis calls “cricket’s top-down ethics”, have a look who’s delivering a speech at the pre-Test dinner tonight.

10. Boz Aug 19, 2015 / 5:10 pm

can somebody tell me what’s wrong with this ‘front page’ …. ?
    apart from it advertising a match from the early summer, still?

the second page is advertising a music festival

on the eve of the Oval protest about the game of cricket being ‘stolen’ from fans I think they’ve already nicked it!!!!

hope it goes well

11. BoerInAustria Aug 20, 2015 / 4:49 am

I hereby add mysupport to the protest today – another foreign kit to the parade….Austria!

12. Zephirine Aug 20, 2015 / 8:49 am

This on the Guardian OBO (Tom Davies):

Striking a serious note, the Change Cricket campaign, initiated by the makers of the essential new film Death of a Gentleman, has organised a three-minute silent protest today against the ICC’s big-three carve up. The demo is due to take place outside the Hobbs Gate at The Oval at 10am, so if you’re reading this while milling around the ground, you may wish to stop milling RIGHT NOW and stride purposefully over to join them. And I shall respectfully not post during this period.

• SimonH Aug 20, 2015 / 8:56 am

Not going to get my full house then! (Although Selvey not even watching DOAG isn’t too far off the point I was trying to make).

Let’s see what ECB-TV and TMS do.

Meanwhile, in Colombo a good fightback from India after losing two early wickets to Prasad but Herath’s just snared Kohli so pretty even there at the moment.

• Arron Wright Aug 20, 2015 / 9:41 am

Sky ignored it by all accounts.

13. Arron Wright Aug 20, 2015 / 10:22 am

Another protest outside The Oval.

Would have been more effective if the lady had included Martin Samuel’s text, of course.

14. Arron Wright Aug 20, 2015 / 3:00 pm

Anyone fancy watching a funny video today?