Revelation

Thanks for thelegglance for filling in the match report duties last night. I got home quite late (this work stuff is getting a pain) and by the time I did, the match was all over. Quite good to have a couple of other cricket lovers around me in the office following the scores surreptitiously on cricinfo and passing updates. Think it might be a bit blatant to lop out the old Tablet and watch SkyGo in the office!

I saw the highlights and caught some of the reaction. It was a brilliant performance. Absolutely no doubt about it, but it should be noted that the new breed went 3 for 4 in terms of “failure”. Roy, who I have a real sneaking suspicion is not going to cut it at the top level (I think when you saw him face Steven Finn in the T20 last year gave you a clue), obviously copped a first baller. Hales also hasn’t delivered in the top spot, and must do so soon, while Sam Billings, who I think should play so that we have a ready-made replacement if Buttler gets injured if he proves himself, also didn’t do well. The most experienced of the new breed, Adil Rashid, of course had an absolute blinder. I’m sure all those who slagged him off for a performance in the nets in the WIndies are saying sorry now…… [sound of crickets]

The established players, Root, Buttler and Morgan were magnificent, and yes, as Vian says, it’s that attitude and approach we want to see. I don’t buy the “no fear” codswallop, actually. It’s rather easy when you’ve been given a clean slate to create a new “brand” (and hell do I hate that phrase) to play without fear. I don’t doubt Buttler plays pretty much without it, but let’s see Joe Root make a ton chasing a big total, rather than setting one. Let’s see how we react chasing 300. Let’s see how we react chasing 250 and losing three wickets for 50. I’m interested to see how we do in those scenarios. But yes, yesterday was a remarkable day. To go from 200 for 6 to 408 for 9 was amazing. Absolutely amazing.

I now know how far I am behind on century watch. Ben Stokes (Lord’s), Adam Lyth (Headingley), BJ Watling (Headingley), Adam Voges (Dominica) and today Shikar Dhawan (Fatullah) need to be documented. No promises when. but I’ll catch up (another early start tomorrow means I’m off to bed soon).

I’m sort of reading two books at the same time – one an old paperback picked up in Hay-on-Wye and the other on the Kindle. I’ll do a book review of both when I’ve finished them, but there’s something remarkable about both. Put To The Test, by Geoffrey Boycott, is a frank view of the Ashes tour of 1978-9 – the Packer-decimated Australian team – when Boycs himself had a pretty poor tour. The frankness is in his comments on his teammates. He praises, and he criticises when he sees fit. It’s the sort of book we would never ever see now.

The other is The Plan, by Steve James. What is remarkable is the thing that seems to be lacking throughout this book is, well, a plan. It’s a series of anecdotes and events bundled together to tell the reader what, I don’t know. There are interesting bits, of course, but I’m befuddled by it, to be honest. I’ve actually no idea what it is trying to achieve. It’s all over the place.

I know I’ve promised, and the Bogfather reminds me, a press hall of shame piece. The fact is, I’ve really cooled on the idea for now. I wrote numbers 1 and 2 on holiday and then just lost the will, to be honest. I’m thinking of putting it to bed now until the annual readers awards at the end of the season, when you lot get to contribute to the voting. I don’t know why I can’t be arsed, but it just happens. For the record, though, my top five were:

1. Mike Selfey

2. Paul Newman

3. Derek Pringle (yes, old habits die hard)

4. Simon Hughes

5. Stephen Brenkley

Jim Holden had an Andy Ganteaume effort to pierce the top 5 on the back of one putrid article but would have been number 6. Henderson was in the running, thanks to detritus in the WCM. Ed Smith was also a live one, as FICJAM angered in his own patronising way. You know it is a tough field when John Etheridge is falling down the rankings, and the tenth was a pick from Chris Stocks, who I think may not really qualify for this, Malcolm Conn (for future crimes) and Aggers himself. Have I left anyone out.

Here is the citation, as written for number 1, back in May.

1. Mike Selvey – This has been a close fought battle, with at times Pringle and Newman edging ahead. But Selfey’s twitter contributions just about nail it, and he sealed the deal with the tweet that anything he said on there wasn’t an invitation for a conversation etc. In other words, unless I “respect” you, sod off. He’s not exactly got social media to a tee.

It’s the arrogance I can’t stand. The “I’ve been there, I know what’s going on and you don’t” approach. You are a journalist for crying out loud. You should be duty bound to tell us. I’m not a journalist, don’t want to be one, and therefore if someone tells me something in confidence then it remains that way because I have no responsibility to anyone other than myself. You have a responsibility to the people you report to.

Every column Selfey writes is met with increasing howls of indignation. It’s not so much now that we are banging on about KP, but it’s the closeness he appears to have to the hierarchy in charge. Selfey was on Moores before anyone else when it came to the selection of the new coach – many might interpret that as a scoop, most of us interpreted it as a Flower/Downton plant. If Selfey has criticised Cook at any length, I’ve missed it. If Selfey has criticised any of his favourites, then, again, I’ve missed it. His writing on international cricket is driving much of his audience mad. It’s made worse when we see the start that Ali Martin, fresh from The Sun, has made, and we can see the potential.

However, what clinches it is the way the negative views of Selfey below the line are moderated. There’s clearly difficulty in accepting that the people you write for are turning on you, and I am sure that’s tough to accept. Instead of listening to some of the more well-meaning stuff, Selfey has seen this as an excuse/reason to become more indignant, more churlish and even more set in his ways. I think he’s past the point of giving a hoot about who he writes for.

It’s funny, because Selfey’s writing has little impact on me any more. He doesn’t raise the levels of anger that Newman or Pringle, or to a lesser extent Brenkley do. But it’s the sneering contempt he appears to have to people who love the game and are incredibly frustrated by his reporting that clinches it. The suspicion is that Newman is doing much of what he does because of who he works for. Selfey doesn’t have that excuse. That’s why he’s numero uno.

Oh go on, I wrote Newman’s one as well….

Paul Newman – It would be tempting to rank Newman number 1, but I won’t. He still has a way to go to match the champion’s sneering contempt for those he is informing. What Newman does worse (or better depending on how you see it) is to provide copy that is so skewed, and at times so batshit insane, that you sit there and think “someone’s telling him to write this, they must be”.

Newman’s 2015 hasn’t been that bad, to be honest. But he wins his place this high because of the occasional lunacy that he concocts and the historically awful stuff he wrote about Pietersen and the book, which even some of his travelling colleagues thought a little bit odd. There is a constant dig on here that we see everything through a KP lens, as if all that I write is predicated on the “KP should be returned to the England fold” line to take. I’d suggest that Newman is much, much worse in this regard. Just look at what he wrote at the end of the Barbados test re Moores. That Moores should get the Ashes gig because he was stopped before by another KP-induced controversy. What the hell has KP got to do with the loss in Barbados and the World Cup except the morons in charge explicitly excluded him?

Newman can’t let Pietersen go. There are constant assertions of “fact”… that KP’s sacking was wholly justified, without ever detailing why. When challenged on Twitter, he resorts to attacking the questioner with “if you don’t know why, you’ll never know” type comments. It’s another example of contempt for the readership. It does create a question in my mind, and I’ve discussed this with Maxie, as to whether this is an editorial line and Newman is working it to the hilt. It would make sense, although I have no doubt there is massive personal antipathy there towards Pietersen, and he appears the journalist that most gets under KP’s skin.

Of course, working for the Mail renders him at a disadvantage from the get go. Blocking me on Twitter when I’ve never tweeted him abuse, or much of a comment, is just childish. Supporting Jim Holden’s article was an act of such expected density that it didn’t shock. Having a little dig at your’s truly for being “nothing important” in a Twitter exchange with Simon Hughes was lovely, actually.

However, it is the bending of the message to suit the prevailing anti-KP rage that is hilarious. Before and after the World Cup, Newman was all for burying Moores. According to Newman, dropping Cook on the eve of the World Cup would result in a make-or-break competition for the unprove new regime. In the same article he then says they have 12 months to prove themselves, but also that a failure in the World Cup followed by stuttering form in the Caribbean and beyond would claim more victims due to the rancour that envelops them. Yesterday despite a World Cup that didn’t even reach “mediocre” on the Newman scale, he’s backing him to continue.

Because, the suspicion is that despite his clear disregard for Moores over the last few months, and the laughs at us for being obsessed with KP, Newman is close to Cook and much is written through that lens. That’s not on. It really isn’t.

I picked up some old Wisden Cricket Monthlys a while back, when Newman had the County beat for the SE of England. He was good. People tell me he’s a really good bloke. But this current stuff is wretched, easily fiskable, and lacking in critical thought, and driven by ant-KP dogma, inserted at every opportunity, relevant or not. But he’s not number 1…..

Until the next time. Hope everyone is well, and let’s see the ODI team keep the show on the road.

42 thoughts on “Revelation

1. thelegglance Jun 10, 2015 / 8:49 pm

A good companion piece to the Boycott book on the ’78/79 tour is Graham Yallop’s Lambs to the Slaughter. It’s particularly interesting for its insight on a captain trying to manage a side in complete meltdown, with a board in even greater meltdown.

Again, not sure you’d get something quite that frank these days.

• LordCanisLupus Jun 10, 2015 / 8:50 pm

Love to read it. I got Bob WIllis’s Tour Diary from 1982/3 as well. Decent read too.

• thelegglance Jun 10, 2015 / 9:08 pm

I’ve got it upstairs – I’ll bring it up next time.

2. Sherwick Jun 11, 2015 / 10:56 am

With Prior retiring today, it would be good to have a discussion hosted by someone (say Vaughan) with both KP and Prior discussing exactly what happened between the 2 of them. Would be riveting..

• d'Arthez Jun 11, 2015 / 12:32 pm

Another success story of the medical team ,,,

Which will of course not be investigated by the ECB.

3. SteveT Jun 11, 2015 / 11:16 am

Yep,

Le Grand Fromage is calling it a day.

Not everyone’s favourite but an excellent WK/batsman and fine servant to English Cricket. Wonder if he’ll write another book. Good luck to him with his new cycle-team.

Read the Graham Yallop and Bob Willis books a good few years ago.Much more frank than what you get nowadays with the odd exception. Must pop upstairs and see if they survived the clear-out

• d'Arthez Jun 11, 2015 / 12:53 pm

Also missing the name of one Kamran Akmal, who was an excellent wk/batsman prior to 2009. On various wicketkeeping metrics he was among the best ever. Since then however, ….

Also, ludicrous to exclude Sanga, but to include AB, on the ground of the former not playing as a wicketkeeper in Tests anymore. AB has done so in all of 23 Tests out of 98. Hardly a regular wicketkeeper. And three of those Tests in 2012 were after the horrific injury to Boucher, and the SA selectors not trusting Thami Tsolekile to do the job.

At the moment Buttler has played most of his Tests at home, and barring two Tests against New Zealand against Test sides that a certain chairman of the ECB would label as mediocre (if he could get away with calling India that – India in India of course is a different proposition). So it is still a bit too early to rush ahead. Let’s see what the Aussies do to him, the Pakistanis in the UAE and then the South Africans on their home turf. Things might look a bit less pretty then. But that could apply to the entire team.

If it was not for hyperbole, the English press could hardly publish a single article.

4. SimonH Jun 11, 2015 / 11:49 am

Worth recalling that Matt Prior is only 33 – have any other keepers been forced out of the game at such an early age?

I’m another one who remembers reading Yallop’s book (alas long since sold in Hay-on-Wye). It was marketed at the time as an incendiary work – probably why so many of us bought it! I remember he was angry at the Chappell/Lillee/Marsh generation who he felt hadn’t welcomed him into the team when he made his debut in 75/76 (he replaced Rick McCosker who they thought shouldn’t have been dropped).

Yallop was one of those players were the gulf between him in form and out of form was enormous. Out of form, he could look absolutely horrible. In form, he played some great innings – especially 121 out of 198 in the 78/79 series and a rapid 114 at OT in 1981 when Australia were chasing about 500. Sadly, no footage of either of those seems to have been dug out of the archives (although there are clips from 78/79 on Youtube – including several Boycott dismissals -as well as Yallop scoring a century against Pakistan in the early 80s).

• Zephirine Jun 11, 2015 / 4:13 pm

Poor old Mont, lost soul at the moment it seems. Nice to see Ravi Bopara helping out with an invitation to play in his team.

• Andy Jun 11, 2015 / 12:29 pm

Mark Boucher (SA) had to retire due to freak eye injury when hit by a bail – not sure of his age.

(just checked, looks like he was 36ish)

• d'Arthez Jun 11, 2015 / 12:36 pm

Boucher intended to retire after the tour of England 2012. Unless possibly persuaded by Kirsten (seeing that the Aussies were next up in 2012).

Sadly, due to the injury he never got to play his 150th Test, just falling 3 short.

5. Mark Jun 11, 2015 / 12:09 pm

Approx 20 years ago, on a very wet bank holiday weekend I went to the library to find a book to read over the dreary weekend ahead. I came across Geoff Boycotts autobiography. This was I believe his first effort. It was pre his cancer illness and his various run ins with certain ex partners. However , I found it one of the funniest books I had read. It wasn’t meant to be funny of course, but the constant disputes and bust up just made me laugh.

In particular the chapter devoted to his dealings with the Yorkshire county cricket board was comedy gold. Michael Parkinson once remarked about how everybody outside yorkshire thinks all yorkies love each other is completely false. They are tribal, they hate each other even more. The book documents the endless disputes, the general committee meetings, the annual General committee meetings, and the extraordinary general committee meetings. The last one, the extraordinary General meeting was like something out of a Greek tradergy laced with an Ealing comedy. The whole of Yorkshire rose up, and came in their thousands seemingly on foot, down from the Dales to support and oppose dear old Geoffrey. All the old favourites are there. Brian Close, Fred Trumam, Ray Illingworth, and poor old Geofry who apparently was never to blame for any of it. Priceless Stuff.

6. LordCanisLupus Jun 11, 2015 / 12:30 pm

Check out Derek Pringle’s latest tweet. Can’t think who he is on about? Can’t paste link on phone.

• Arron Wright Jun 11, 2015 / 12:46 pm

Some coincidence, those tags…

• Andy Jun 11, 2015 / 1:42 pm

The only things Matt Prior did not leave on a cricket field are the various bits surgeons cut off him – a true servant to England and Sussex— Derek Pringle (@derekpringle) June 11, 2015

This one?

• LordCanisLupus Jun 11, 2015 / 1:48 pm

No. One copied to the other four journos in yesterday’s past.

• Andy Jun 11, 2015 / 2:52 pm

Ah – didn’t see the one D’arthez posted – explains why I was confused!

In my defense that one doesn’t show up in my feed. presumably cause I don’t follow him/the other hacks so it is only semi public

• thebogfather Jun 11, 2015 / 4:20 pm

Guilty M’lord for inviting them to see how much they were loved (FicJam was also invited)

7. d'Arthez Jun 11, 2015 / 1:03 pm

I find it quite hilarious. And showing how out of touch the old guard is with new media.

An online newspaper is in effect nothing more than a glorified blog.

Selfey is hiding behind the Guardian moderation team, when people call him out on the idiocy he has uttered in the past 3 years. Pretty much like an overzealous blogger who cannot tolerate dissent in any shape or form.

Otherwise doing his best impression of a spiteful, mean spirited grandpa, who never amounted to much on a cricket field, and still yearns for the old days, when those pesky colonials would submit to the glories of the Empire. He does not even try to hide his disdain for them.

In other words, the difference between Selfey and your run of the mill wacky blogger is that Selfey has the joy of professional people cleaning up after his own created messes. Hide behind that Selfey.

• Mike Jun 11, 2015 / 2:14 pm

But also, therein lies the point that has led to the growth of, in his words “nom de plume blogs”.

Given the access, platform and reach these people have, their herd mentality and reluctance to question the narrative that has gushed forth from the upper echelons of England’s cricket establishment is why we’re all here, still, banging the drum.

Derek, if you won’t hold the people who have, in affect stolen the game from the lifeblood, i.e us punters and club players, to account for their actions then we’ll have to attempt to do it. Seeing as we don’t have the access, the web of professional contacts we might be wrong, but it’s always from a well meant place.

Derek Pringle and the above tagged writers, I’m sure also, want the best for the game. But it’s just they appear to be writing from the point of view of the establishment and we clearly aren’t. Frankly their continuing inability to grasp this, to dismiss us, leads to us increasingly dismissing them as anachronistic irrelevance on the road to retirement.

How are those 11 wins looking Derek?

• Mike Jun 11, 2015 / 2:34 pm

How to go about undermining your own spurious argument 101… that should of course read “nom de blog”.

• Benny Jun 11, 2015 / 2:47 pm

Exactly my feeling. Once, long ago, newspapers served a purpose – they informed us what had happened in yesterday’s cricket matches as well as what was happening (truthfully) off the field. With TV and internet, we now know everything before the papers hit the streets. So your modern Pringle, with a blank column to fill, resorts to opinion, gossip, inaccuracies, fantasy and insults of anyone who disagrees with his tosh. I don’t read the press. No need. They’re irrelevant and as Mike perceptively says, anachronistic.

• Mark Jun 11, 2015 / 2:42 pm

Oh yes, the old media in all its rotten glory. Of course dear old Derek or Selvey have never hid behind that lovely convenient old chestnut….” My sources tell me…blah blah blah.”

When you old fogeys have the integrity to reveal who at the ECB has been leaking your anti KP copy for the last 4 years, then I might consider listening to your winge. When Mr Agnew will reveal who leaked, (within about 20 minutes of the ending of the meeting between KP and Strauss) I might cop an ear to your moaning about anonymity. When Mr Newman will tell us how he acquired the leaked dossier on KP, then lectures on hiding behind anonymity might be worth listening to. I’m sure we can all look forward to the sound of …..*crickets* crickets* crickets* Can crickets be anonymous too?

When you pay your hard earned money to enter a test ground to watch 5 days of test cricket, and pay for the free hospitality of the sponsors favourite wines and refreshments without hiding the bill on your press card and Newspaper expense account maybe you can talk about hiding behind others.

You people have been wrong about almost everything for the last 2 years, and if you had actually been doing your dam jobs the blogs would never have mushroomed. You created the blogs through your own slack, piss poor reporting and opinion. Nothing to do with anonymity but everything to do with quality and the lack of of it in the old media.

• volkerelle Jun 11, 2015 / 3:00 pm

nom de blog – as in “the analyst”?

• Zephirine Jun 11, 2015 / 4:23 pm

has there ever been a greater irrelevance than people who hide behind nom de blogs puts old Voltaire in his place, eh? And a few thousand others of art, literature, the stage and screen.

What these journalists don’t seem to be able to grasp is that BTL commenters and bloggers, erm, work for a living. Most of us have employers or clients who do not wish us to be known for anything other than toiling in their service. Is that so hard to understand?

• dvyk Jun 11, 2015 / 6:37 pm

“has there ever been a greater irrelevance than people who hide behind nom de blogs”

See for example
      @selvecricket @Paul_NewmanDM @theanalyst @stephenbrenkley

On the other hand, maybe I should insist on seeing everyone’s verified legal name, address and tax file number before reading anything else on here. That would make everything much more relevant.

8. Arron Wright Jun 11, 2015 / 2:40 pm

So, one moment you’re on Twitter and at pains to point out that Prior is only “one of” the greatest England players ever.

The next:

“Matt Prior provided the buzzing hub of the most successful of all England sides”

That’s THE most successful.

Unless you’re playing Pakistan, South Africa or New Zealand, presumably.

• Arron Wright Jun 11, 2015 / 2:47 pm

“It was Prior who was behind the stumps when England beat India away for the first time in getting on for four decades.”

Tell a 28-year-old they’re getting on for 40, see what response you get.

Not sure Flower’s spotless reputation needed that extra ten years of burgeoning, but well done anyway.

• Mark Jun 11, 2015 / 3:06 pm

Prior wasn’t very good in the test mathes he played in last summer, and Captain Cook, (the greatest captain in the history of England in all the centuries Simon Hughes has been having dinner with England captains) said in a sniffy way Prior could leave if he wanted too. Because captain Cook said Butler was not ready for prime time. A top notch piece of judgement from the the greatest living Englishman.

The big cheese had a great career but it was overshadowed at the end by his role in the Flower/KP saga. And his injury which bizarrely the England medical people didn’t notice or the management thought was fine to play through.

• Arron Wright Jun 11, 2015 / 3:12 pm

Of course, in those last four decades England have won in India and Australia three times each. But what’s this… England have only won once in South Africa, once in the West Indies and once in Pakistan in the same period? And which coach were those victories under? Fletcher, you say? So why do the press just keep banging on about places where modern history suggests it’s approximately twice* as easy to win?

*Proof:
      v India 3 wins from 8 series
      v Australia 3 wins from 10 series
      Total 6 from 18 (33.3%)

v Pakistan 1 win from 5 series excl UAE
      v SA 1 win from 4 series
      v WI 1 win from 8 series
      Total 3 from 17 (17.6%), or 2 from 18 (16.7%) if including UAE

Beats me, son, beats me…

• SimonH Jun 11, 2015 / 5:29 pm

“Most successful” is just such garbage.

Take the 1950s or specifically 1951-58. Nine series wins, four draws (including an epic series away in WI) and no defeats. Three Ashes wins including a legendary 3-1 away. A team chock full of legends of the game (when the selectors picked the strongest side).

Or take 1967-71 when England won eight series and drew only two.

No doubt others have certain eras they’d point to:

• Mark Jun 11, 2015 / 6:50 pm

Also Simon, you have to take into consideration the quality of the opposition.

I hate to break it to the Flower/Strauss/Cook groupies, but Australia were not very good in 2011. I know, I know it is a treasonable offence at Simon Hughes dinner table to point this out but it’s true.

Neither were India in the greatest England win in India since Clive of India was kicking ass. They were an aging side with poor spinners. It pains me to point this out and I would love to just let these results sit there in the record books, but the usual suspects have elevated these matches to legendary status. And they have done it to justify their love affair with all things Flower and Strauss and Cook.

I would love to have seen this side go up against the WI of the late 1970s early 80s with the same amount of protection. I’m betting it would have been carnage.

• Arron Wright Jun 11, 2015 / 7:02 pm

It’s also one win in four series against Sri Lanka away. Which means that, over those all-important last forty years, only New Zealand of the major Test nations have been “easier” to beat in their own back yard than Australia and India. And I personally think the Fletcher wins in SL, Pak and SA stand head and shoulders above those away wins under Flower. The Caribbean victory will always suffer from people pointing out the quality of opposition, but the scoreline makes it look a damn sight easier than it actually was.

9. SimonH Jun 11, 2015 / 2:42 pm

Second Test at Sabina Park about to start. WI won toss and bowl. Pitch expected to take spin so that looks an essentially defensive decision.

Three changes for WI; none for Australia (Rogers still ruled out by concussion).

• SimonH Jun 11, 2015 / 3:46 pm

Outstanding opening spell from Jerome Taylor – both openers gone (Warner for a third ball duck, Marsh to a terrific in-swinger) and no runs conceded in his first five overs. Not much support from Roach at the other end either.

Taylor has a great record at the ground having taken 20+ wickets at about 13.

• SimonH Jun 11, 2015 / 5:17 pm

Taylor goes in for lunch with figures of 6-6-0-2. Not a record apparently as Wasim Akram once bowled 8 maidens at the start of an innings.

Kemar Roach on the other hand (and with the same Duke ball) has 7-0-40-0. His dismissal of Clarke with what turned out to be a no-ball looks like it might be the key point in the game already.

• SimonH Jun 11, 2015 / 10:24 pm

Another day, another Test century for Steve Smith. He was dropped at slip off Brathwaite and given out lbw but overturned on review (rare poor decision by umpire Kettleborough) but was past his century on both occasions. Otherwise he looked in little trouble on a day when no-one else made over fifty.

Jerome Taylor’s 15-8-18-3 was outstanding and Holder and Brathwaite steady. Roach had a nightmare and Permaul had to bowl too much on a first day pitch and was expensive. Ramdin’s tactics were odd at times with Taylor under-bowled before lunch as was Holder to some extent. Nobody looking at the day would think that attack (with Gabriel replacing Roach) should be able to bowl a side out twice in three days.

• SimonH Jun 12, 2015 / 9:34 am

Couple of stats from today:

(That Headingley game was the one where Phil Edmonds took 5-28 on debut and the match was abandoned on the last day when the pitch was damaged by protesters overnight. No footage of that game seems to be available which is a pity).