England ODI squad versus Ireland

Taylor (c), Ansari, Bairstow, Billings, Bresnan, Finn, Gregory, Hales, Roy, Vince, Willey.

Additional players from the West Indies squad will be added.

25 thoughts on “England ODI squad versus Ireland

1. SimonH Apr 28, 2015 / 12:56 pm

First sign of a bit of form in over a year and Bresnan’s straight back in. Why am I not astonished?

I’m not having a cheap pop at him here. I’ve defended Bresnan as a test bowler BTL when he wasn’t exactly flavour of the month. His one-day record though is extremely ordinary and his recall shows all that stuff about new eras and building for 2019 to be the **** it always was.

By the way, I’ve read that he has a remodeled action. Anyone seen it or know why he changed it?

• Arron Wright Apr 28, 2015 / 1:03 pm

I had a four-word response to that squad. The fourth word was “sake” and the first word was someone’s surname.

No, you don’t have to be Sherlock Holmes.

• SimonH Apr 28, 2015 / 1:23 pm

The Cricinfo report says:

“[Bresnan] has been taking steps during the winter to explore what he might do to give his longevity a boost, and why his action has subtly changed. Surprisingly, given that the science of biomechanics has taken data to another level, it has not come about through hours of video analysis but more from the wisdom imparted by the Yorkshire first-team coach, Jason Gillespie.

“It is not a big change, but it is a decent change,” Bresnan said. “I’m trying to bowl in a straight line, with no jumping out, getting more side on and that takes the pressure off the back, and off the shoulder and the elbow and the pec, all the areas where I was struggling in previous years.

“I can’t get away with forcing it down now I’m a bit older. From an action point of view, hopefully it will be beneficial for my longevity.”

In this match, he feels the improvement is there to see. “For me it was the best I’ve bowled for three or four years,” he said. “It has come out nicely rhythm wise, bowling at decent pace with a bit of swing in nice areas.”

Chalk another one up for Jason Gillespie. Perhaps one day we’ll hear how an England bowling coach or the national performance center made a similar improvement…..

2. Mike Apr 28, 2015 / 1:56 pm

Presumably, Buttler, Root, Stokes, Ali & Jordan (Bell? Trott??) will be added from the test squad…

Nothing agaisnt Tim Bresnan, glad he’s back and fit, but, come on, he adds absolutely nothing to the squad that isn’t already covered by the likes of Jordan, Willey & Stokes…why is he there?

• hatmallet Apr 28, 2015 / 2:07 pm

No, only non-playing players. So probably Rashid, Wood and maybe Plunkett.

3. Benny Apr 28, 2015 / 1:59 pm

I’m encouraged by this selection, except Bresnan I’m afraid. Thought for a moment Whittaker had been replaced.

4. Andy Apr 28, 2015 / 2:05 pm

Don’t know which way to take this squad.

On the one hand;

is it a bit of an insult to Ireland. “here is the England 2nds to play against, now go away you troublesome associate nation”

or

is it a reflection of how awful we were at the WC and this is a chance to introduce fresh blood and really move forward. Choose people who have form and ability in the ODI game.

I hope its the 2nd and I hope they stick with a good number of them (recognising that there will be people who don’t cut it).

How many of the WC players/squad will walk back into this squad once the ridiculous test schedule has passed. How many would expect to? Root, Buttler, Broad (erg), bell, Balance (thought he was sold a pup at the WC).

Tim bresnan is 30 (?) I actually thought he would be older. So he would be 34/35 at the WC which isn’t massively old (says the 35 year old). he doesn’t excite me, but I recognise the contrast he gave to anderson & broad. I don’t really know his impact on test vs odi beyond the stats though, nor how well he is bowling at the moment.

On his action tweak, its good that his county coach has helped him & will hopefully extend his career (It’s what they are for after all!), but I agree with what was said – hopefully Loughborough & england coaches will help out with this sort of thing at somepoint, as opposed to just breaking bowlers then sending them off to look at old tapes (as discussed recently…)

• hatmallet Apr 28, 2015 / 2:10 pm

Regarding the first point, if this was scheduled for a better time then more senior players could play.

Crap time to be playing an ODI, both in terms of time-of-year and proximity to the Windies series.

• Benny Apr 28, 2015 / 5:17 pm

It’s a blessing in disguise. Several players there whom many of us would like to see playing for England. If one or more of them puts in a great performance, it should accelerate them securing a regular place, skipping the drinks waiter period.

• Mark Apr 28, 2015 / 2:21 pm

We will only know how good they really think this side is when they select the team for the ODIs against New Zealand and Australia. How many of these will then be dropped?

It’s a bit of a hiding to nothing.

5. hatmallet Apr 28, 2015 / 2:07 pm

Good squad. Some exciting players.

Given that England were never going to take a big squad, it is just one game, there’s no obvious absences at first glance. Lees was rumoured to be picked, as was Topley (despite being injured).

Bresnan in a bit of an odd one, but I guess they want some experience – Finn could be the sole existing international player amongst the bowlers (though Rashid may come in too).

No guarantee that we’ll win. We’ve struggled in Ireland before. It will be damp and not a typical ODI wicket. Last time we were bailed out by Morgan and Bopara. But hopefully some players can put in good performances and earn their places in the summer squads – it will be the NZ squad that tells us more about the direction England will take.

• SimonH Apr 28, 2015 / 2:59 pm

If they wanted someone with some international experience, and who they genuinely need to find out more about, why not pick Rankin?

He was by all accounts the most threatening seamer with the Lions. He’s had a good start to the county season. If they think (like Selvey) he isn’t up to international cricket’s pressures, why did he go on the Lions’ tour in the first place?

They either need to pick players like him and Rashid or, if they really think they aren’t up to it, stop taking them on Lions’ tours.

• Andy Apr 28, 2015 / 3:06 pm

Think I read somewhere that Rankin was having injections in his back and that put off the selectors. Beeb or guardian maybe?

• SimonH Apr 28, 2015 / 4:03 pm

Thanks Andy – I hadn’t heard that. He’s just taken 6/55 against the champion county though.

Also I thought needing some sort of injection didn’t stop a bowler from getting an England call-up. In fact, it’s probably compulsory!

• Burly Apr 28, 2015 / 4:51 pm

I don’t think Rankin’s brief dalliance with international cricket really counts as “international experience” – he’s as raw as most of the newbies.

• Tuffers86 Apr 28, 2015 / 5:22 pm

As they are playing Ireland there might be some sort of agreement not to select Irish cricketers.

• SimonH Apr 28, 2015 / 5:22 pm

Rankin’s a 30 year old (nearly 31) with 44 ODIs. He’s hardly a novice.

• hatmallet Apr 28, 2015 / 5:52 pm

I suspect Rankin was originally intended to be picked. He was with the Lions over the winter. But as Andy mentioned, he had an injection recently, so something is troubling him.

6. man in a barrel Apr 28, 2015 / 3:45 pm

I expect Tredwell to go with mthe party – they need a steady hand with the drinks’ tray.

7. metatone Apr 28, 2015 / 4:56 pm

It’s nice for Bresnan to be selected, but it’s hard to see it as a positive move.
    He was rarely more than reliable for England in ODIs. It’s a missed chance to learn about someone more likely to play in 2019.

• metatone Apr 28, 2015 / 4:57 pm

And I understand that may seem to be an insult to Ireland, who are well capable of beating many of the sides that the England selectors would put together – but I’m a firm believer that we have to start throwing players in and finding out if they have the right stuff. I’d put in a few regulars, but I think the workload doesn’t allow for it – bad scheduling – so I’d rather go with potential than waste a spot on someone we know plenty about.

8. Grenville Apr 28, 2015 / 5:58 pm

It isn’t totally related, but I’ve just noticed that Hales has 639 FC runs before the end of April. I know that the dry spring has facilitated early season batting, but that is some achievement. He’s also been, stupidly in my book, forced to give up an IPL career so that he can stake a place in the England test side.

There is some serious competition for an openers’ berth, Lees, Lyth, Hales, Cook, Robson, Carberry, Compton would all be good picks in normal times, we have Trott and Cook. Are we seriously supposed to believe that, on form, since the Ashes debacle, England’s best team is headed by Cook and Trott. — I’ve picked the Ashes debacle because that would be the moment when England went into transition.

The case for the oppo. (nb. I can’t defend the Trott call up).

I’d have been tempted to drop Cook and retain Carberry post-Ashes. Cook needed the captaincy removing for sure, which would have made dropping him easier. He’d been in a bad run since India and looked technically and mentally shot. Carbs, did ok for a newbie in a tough, tough tour. I’d have said, see what you can do against sri lanka. You need to learn to manufacture 1’s and 2’s, but you proved that your worth a punt. But ok, MC wasn’t spectacular in OZ and AC has proven class. You might give AC another go. He fails for the next 4 tests (I think). You don’t want to drop the skipper mid series (though you should have stopped the captaincy lark after oz and if not then, after Leeds). Since then A Cook has scored some runs. It gets tough to drop him now.

A warning

You need to put him on notice. We want big runs soon or your out. There are 3 players in the CC who look like an upgrade: Lees, Lyth and Hales, plus 3 more who have outperformed you in the last few seasons.

If you do do that, and Cook fails against the black caps. Whichever rookie pair you put in place for the ashes need to know that an ok performance will guarantee them the winter tour. The lack of ruthlessness by the selectors has put them in a bloody stupid position. Lets say, Lyth and Robson open in the ashes because Cook and Trott can’t buy a run against the quality pace bowling of NZ, 2 proper talents will, yet again, be chucked into England’s toughest series.

• Andy Apr 28, 2015 / 7:15 pm

Just for the records at least 400 of hales runs have come from batting at 3.

Mullaney and B Taylor have been opening.

Not that I disagree with your point in any way, think you are valid.

• Grenville Apr 28, 2015 / 10:20 pm

This is a good point, I should have noted that.

9. jennyah46 Apr 28, 2015 / 7:55 pm

I like the selection. Good to see young players who have done well in the counties thrown into the mix. I don’t see it as an insult to Ireland. We were such a disaster at the world cup we are honour bound to try something different. The new lads will be augmented by which ever test players were can afford to spare, given the ridiculous schedule. So far I think it’s a fair enough squad and will look stronger when we have the additional players. Good to take a look at some of the players with potential who are knocking on the door. Only way of finding out the best in who we have got.