Infamy

In an act of self-indulgence, I am commenting on the mention of this blog in Wisden. I have a copy of the article, from the editor himself, and I’ll have to say it’s an interesting take on the blog.

One topic dominated the agenda of the English cricket media in 2014.
England’s brutal and irrevocable decision to dispense with Kevin Pietersen, and its deeply unsatisfactory aftermath, prompted serious attention from some of the blogosphere’s best writers. In terms of quantity and passion, Dmitri Old at cricketbydmitri.wordpress.com stood out.

Old wrote thousands upon thousands of words, mostly excoriating the
ECB. While at times the effect was like being repeatedly hit over the head with one of Pietersen’s bats, his blog acted as a valuable conduit for deep resentment at the ECB’s administration of English cricket. This was exemplified by their reference in a press release to people “outside cricket”, intended as a response to one of Piers Morgan’s many incursions into the saga – but which was latched on to by Old as evidence of the board’s lack of empathy with the fans.

First up, thanks to Brian Carpenter for including me in his review. It is interesting to see how your blog is viewed by those outside my usual comment client base. I actually grinned when I read the bit about “repeatedly hit over the head”, but at the time when this blogger was that mad about things, there was always gold in them there hills in which we could pick apart the arguments. I could repeat and repeat, because the press and the ECB repeatedly gave us the ammunition.

I am, by my nature, quite a modest person. I really find praise and that sort of thing awkward. Don’t get me wrong, I like it, but I don’t claim credit often. But I do think this blog (along with TFT of course) has done the most to put “outside cricket” front and centre over the last year. We’ve never let it go, even if it means I’m likened to a bludgeon. Repetition hammers home the message. I don’t apologise for it. I don’t think Brian means me to either, but there are a number who tell me to let it lie. Never. Not until I get the sense that the authorities do anything more than pay lip service to what this small, noisy band of cricket tragics say. This sport does not need to become more exclusive, more insular, more arrogant – it needs, to use their bloody horrible phrase, to reconnect with the public.

However, Old didn’t take aim merely at those in authority: he also trained his sights on the traditional press, some of whom he viewed as Establishment stooges. In one or two cases, he might have had a point. But the press coverage reflected, in part, the vulnerabilities of cricket journalists, who have a symbiotic relationship with administrators and players: the administrators grant access to the players, who provide interviews and quotes. Most bloggers have no such privileges, yet this very freedom from professional dependence means they can shoot from the hip.

This is a really interesting debating point, in my eyes. Let’s go back to when KP got dropped. There is a substantial section of the England fan base that said “good”. Fair enough. I have always said they are entitled to their opinion and I’d never want to shut that down. That part of the fan base, shall we say, was more than adequately represented in the journalist corps. We pick on Paul Newman a lot here, but he’d got the inside track, by hook or by leak, and there appeared glee in reporting the end of his career. The other big beasts, such as Pringle and Selvey, and I’d say Etheridge too, had nailed their colours to the mast.

Those of us who saw a batsman top of the run charts for his team, albeit, we know, not a stellar record, being the main man to pay the price as unfair, and in my case as a fan, antagonistic, weren’t the beneficiaries of much supportive press. KP split opinions. He still does. The main conclusions to be drawn, from totally outside, was that the press had either personal grudges they weren’t prepared to go into, or they were too close to members of the establishment. Selvey was possibly the worst case, with his piece supporting Downton on his appointment, his Cricketer love letter to Andy Flower, and then his praising of Moores. It’s easy to draw the conclusion we have.

Now, I will admit, that at some times I might have gone a bit wild. But as I’ve explained to the Editor, I come from the background of a football club’s message board. Nuance and reason didn’t work. They just didn’t. You needed to put your argument forcefully. If that’s shooting from the hip. then I’ll agree.

The main gripe, as Brian would know (and he’s limited to space) was our frustration with the journalists was the TTT – Tyers Twitter Tendency – which is “we know more than you, trust us, it was the right decision”. That intimated that there was something, but the proles couldn’t know. I still don’t. Innuendo, unattributable briefing and “I’m not going to comment” isn’t going to cut it in this day and age. And yes, I went on and on and on. I still do. But it is interesting to read these views.

Where Old sometimes fell short was in failing to recognise that journalists find themselves in a different position; in any case, the press as a whole weren’t quite the Establishment mouthpieces he felt them to be. But his obsessive refusal to let sleeping dogs lie – together with an urgent, punchy delivery and a nice line in song-lyric titles – was the most distinctive aspect of the blogosphere in 2014, even if it ultimately prompted the feeling that, at some point, he would need to let go. And in February 2015, he appeared to do just that, taking his blog down, his point eloquently made.

That is very kind of Brian, and while I disagree a bit (and I see the Establishment / Press relationship a little differently now to what I did – amazing what speaking to people does) it’s fair comment. I do listen to these things, and I recognise my style is not for all. I am clearing out the spare room at the moment and came across my old school reports. For English language (and my old English teacher follows me on Twitter) I was accused of all sorts of stylistic abominations. My history teacher called my writing style brutal. Maybe I’ve always been a blogger, and my “florid prose” isn’t to all tastes. But it gets the message across.

There is no secret that I was a nobody who no-one talked to 15 months ago, and now I’m a nobody that speaks to lots more people. I don’t over-estimate any influence I have, but I do know this blog resonates, because mainly the posts are backed up by salient, well honed arguments from many similarly angry commenters. It’s a bit raucous, very angry, and yes, we get things wrong. But it has made it’s mark.

I also see this blog as an extension of How Did We Lose In Adelaide (and Brian wasn’t to know that a new blog had taken its place) so excuse me if there is any confusion over which blog is which!

The conclusion to the article on the relationship between press and blogger is also worth a read, but I think that’s for another day. But it is an important discussion that I think I have a different view on.

My thanks to Lawrence Booth for allowing me to “fisk” the article. My thanks to Brian Carpenter for the review of this and other blogs, and my thanks to all who have supported, and all who hate what we say. It keeps the petrol flowing into the engine.

PS – Do you miss the song-titles?

40 thoughts on “Infamy

1. Vian April 11, 2015 / 4:41 pm

Everyone is allowed a little self-congratulation. Well done mate.

2. thebogfather April 11, 2015 / 4:45 pm

Woo Hoo, Well Done You! (and those others here, at TFT, and btl as a whole! )

3. James Morgan April 11, 2015 / 5:01 pm

Well done mate 🙂

• LordCanisLupus April 11, 2015 / 5:12 pm

He got to wear the old bib and tucker, though….. Hard for a pseudonym!

• thebogfather April 11, 2015 / 5:14 pm

Aw Dmitri, there’s always next year to dress-up for!

4. thebogfather April 11, 2015 / 5:15 pm

Oh, song titles? No – prefer the one-worders 😉

• Rooto April 12, 2015 / 7:38 am

Plus one.

5. paulewart April 11, 2015 / 5:21 pm

They’ve all go it…

Congratulations, it really is quite the achievement. There are thousands of blogs out there; very few get to make such an impact. It feels to me as though the blog and the whole ECB/KP business ispeaks to a wider sense of disenchantment with contemporary Britain (it certainly does for me); in that sense it is very therapeutic.

6. BoerInAustria April 11, 2015 / 5:34 pm

well done
    and well deserved

7. Zephirine April 11, 2015 / 6:23 pm

Oo-er, bet you never thought you’d be in Wisden 🙂 Great to have the recognition/validation and richly deserved for all your work and passion. I think you’re the only one who’s called the mainstream press to account so persistently and relentlessly, and it’s made you into A Phenomenon. Or a stroppy blogger, depending on which side of the fence one sits.

Of course, there will now be a small stream of Wisden readers heading over to cricketbydmitri, so hopefully you have signposts to here…

I like the one-word titles, they’re cool.

8. dvyk April 11, 2015 / 6:46 pm

Congrats for the mention in Wisden, Dmitri! Well deserved. And well done Wisden & Co for realizing noticing the internet exists.

However I find some of Brian Carpenter has been a little too generous to the MSM and a little too harsh on our host. First off, it’s perfectly in order for a blog to hit people over the head with the same thing — it’s by nature a person and somewhat egocentric medium, reflecting personal interests, and in this case Dmitri was responding to the utter failure or deliberate refusal by many in the MSM to deal honestly with the situation.

Carpenter:
    “cricket journalists, who have a symbiotic relationship with administrators and players”
    That is an overly generous way to describe what has been going on. Firstly, KP in his book accused the press of buckling to “unusual or extraordinary pressure” from the ECB to toe a line. No one has denied or challenged KP on that. In fact, some like Selvey have trumpeted the truth of it from the rooftops as if it is a mark of worth. Repeatedly we’ve seen journalists one after the other trotting out particular lines. This is not a “symbiotic relationship” but pure and utter dereliction of duty.

Furthermore, for those journalists who may have entered into a genuinely “symbiotic relationship” with players and officials, if this has negatively affected their writing, as Mr Carpenter admits, it should not be seen as an occupational hazard, but a pure and utter failure to do one’s job. Mr Carpenter should be condemning such weakness and betrayal of the readers and cricket fans. The fact that this doesn’t even seem to have occurred to him suggests to me just how far sports writers have come to accepted disgracefully low standards as the norm.

Professional sports people will understand that if they perform badly they will be criticised. They will get used to it if is done fairly. So a journalist with integrity should not lose too much respect or access to players.

As for administrators, they are and have always been the biggest threat to every sport. A journalist who is in their pocket no longer serves the sport he is supposed to covering and deserves nothing but contempt.

Carpenter:
    “the press as a whole weren’t quite the Establishment mouthpieces he felt them to be”

I see today that Selvey has been praising Richie Benaud for “fighting shy of criticising players”. Thsi from the guy who called KP a parasite and fruit fly. Well I’ve got news for Selvey. Richie Benaud never praised players either the way Selvey has been licking Cook’s boots. Yet Selvey has a massive platform in a major newspaper when in fact if he was a press agent for the ECB they’d probably think twice about putting their name to some of the guff that he’s been pouring out at their behest.

• SimonH April 11, 2015 / 7:40 pm

Well said dvyk and I share your congrats to Dmitri -although I’d be much happier if the quality of Dmitri’s arguments was acknowledged as much as their quantity and passion.

I agree that Brian Carpenter is too generous to MSM. Why have too many spent the last nearly 18 months alternating between Dr Pangloss and Charles Pooter? Because they depend on the ECB to make players available for interview? I’d rather read some independent analysis than another “Cooky is the greatest ever” piece of nonsense from Broad. Anyway, I don’t think access is why they do it. I think it’s more Blair’s “it’s worse than you think. I believe in it”. Most of them really think Cook is the embodiment of some set of superior values and Pietersen is somehow the anti-Cook. That’s the first problem. The second problem is that too many are part of ‘the cult of the fan’ and see their primary role as cheerleader of the national team. The journalists I respect feel like ‘citizens of the world of cricket’ first and ‘English’ (or whatever) second.

Scyld Berry has had his moments of Cooky-worship but he feels part of that wider world of cricket. The result is a piece like his latest:

I’m not sure I agree with all of it but it is independent, properly critical, thoroughly researched and thought-provoking. Everything that “good journalism” should be.

• LordCanisLupus April 11, 2015 / 7:42 pm

I might do a piece on this one tomorrow. It got too obsessive about board structures as to how New Zealand changed around. My view is it is talent and attitude, not some high-fallutin’ corporate structure. But again, all views and all that…

• paulewart April 12, 2015 / 5:57 am

Scyld’s come good again recently. The correspondents have clearly had the foot removed from their throat, a couple, however, had developed a taste for said foot: let’s call it Stockholm Syndrome.

• paulewart April 12, 2015 / 5:51 am

MS appears to have little to no self-awareness. He’s become a parody of his former self. All a bit sad, really.

9. Pontiac April 11, 2015 / 6:57 pm

What the review misses is maybe the most important thing of all: whose analyses were more correct and internally consistent? Whose judgments were better borne out by events as they have developed?

In short, between the general track taken by those getting paid for their work (exceptions like Dobell, Hopps, and other individuals, more or less intermittently on a case by case basis of course acknowledged) and those of those outside any special access with only openly reported facts and their own experience of playing and viewing the game — which of the two more often argued starting from baldly asserted articles of faith, and which of the two have been and will be more discomfited by inconvenient juxtapositions of what was said then, and what is said now.

10. Rohan April 11, 2015 / 7:07 pm

I liked the song titles Dmitri, hence the use of a streets song in a post I made the other day, it was meant to be a subtle hint!

I too think Carpenter has been a little harsh. I agree with the above, that Dmitri, above most of the MSM, clearly and consistently saw the truth and commentated on it very well indeed. They should take it as an honour, being repeatedly hit over the head with England’s greatest ever run-scorer’s bat!

Keep em coming Dmitti and don’t let the rage wane, channel it’s power! We enjoy your Blog and you deserve all the credit and praise that comes your way……..

• LordCanisLupus April 11, 2015 / 7:14 pm

I’m thinking that people are being slightly harsh with Brian. I look back at some of the posts and they were a little OTT, but I’m not apologising for them. I was talking about how I felt at the time, and like many people, views evolve when information comes their way. I know that some of those who I actually respect would rather purchase a pet rattlesnake then give me any praise or whatever, but I can live with that. This is, after all, a hobby. I don’t, and have never, claimed exclusivity when it comes to my love for the sport.

I think there is a good discussion to be had on the topic, and was why I posted the comments on here. I am keen to see more views on the relationship, which we would like a window on, but some would rather keep the barriers alive and well. After all, it is better to be inside than outside.

But I think Brian was really fair. I prefer to be approachable than to blanche at any views that aren’t wholly aligned with mine.

• dvyk April 11, 2015 / 9:05 pm

Sorry if my comment above came over too harsh. The harshness wasn’t aimed at Brian C — really it was only a bit of nitpicking that I was engaging in. I think it’s great to see bloggers get recognised, because among other things, it shows an appreciation of the fact that there are cricket fans who understand the game and the politics surrounding it, much better than some in the press wish to believe.

It’s interesting — on the one hand we’ve got the writers of Wisden acknowledging this, and on the other we’ve got people like Selvey insisting that his Guardian “blog” and even use of twitter should not be seen as an invitation for people to engage with him.

• LordCanisLupus April 11, 2015 / 9:10 pm

Just making sure that perceptions of harshness are dampened down a bit. No apologies necessary. For what it’s worth, the later part, which I didn’t copy out, was where I had more fundamental disagreements with what Brian said. While I’m more au fait with the journo / ECB relationship, the fact is that few (and Lawrence is an exception) of the journalists give a stuff what we say. See the “nothing important” from our best mate a couple of weeks ago.

There’s a piece there, just need to write it.

• Rohan April 11, 2015 / 9:33 pm

Dmitri I never thought your posts were OTT, but equally respect that in hindsight you feel they were. I thought you were very balanced and considered. For example you refused to instantly berate Moores, realising that essentially he was a good honourable man, albeit out of his depth. You gave him time and did not condemn him, when many of us (me included) wanted to jettison him instantly. They were many more instances like this. It’s what makes you Blog great, also you do not mind views counter to your own and welcome discussion!

With regards to the relationship and comments on this. Mark’s points below about ‘access’ are very interesting and certainly seem to chime with what we have seen, heard and read over the past 18 months. I think the line about administrators provide access to players, who provide quotes etc. is just another ‘card to be played’ by the MSM to cover up their alignment/closeness to the ECB and to justify it. I hasten to add this does not apply to all MSM but quite a few.

Another point of note, which may have lead to this comment, is that at times, I imagine your comments on here and HDWLIA, with regards to the MSM and certain ECB individuals, were spot on. For those in question, these insights/perceptive comments/deductions probably hit a raw nerve as they shone an unwanted spotlight on an, at times, inconvenient truth; a truth they did not like and one which could potentially cause them damage (reputation/image wise). Hence the justification in the sections you quote from Wisden above, is another half-baked offering for those of us outside of cricket, from those inside. Placate the masses, no need to tell the the real truth, just snippets will do……..

11. ZeroBullshit April 11, 2015 / 7:09 pm

Congratulations Dmitri! Enjoy the moment but don’t let either the ECB or the press get away with anything.

12. Jomesy April 11, 2015 / 7:11 pm

I rarely post here (others say what I think better so happy just to read) but I have to say collythorpe (and before that dimitri old) and TFT have been my staple during this ridiculous period. Anyway, I post now just to say thank you dimitri/LCL. You might not like praise so I’ll leave it at that but it’s a really big thank you too.

Ps – agree entirely with DVYK and Pontiac’s comment immediately above….so, err, keep it up!

13. Sean B April 11, 2015 / 7:49 pm

I’ve suddenly found a new respect for Laurence Booth (despite the paper he works for). Good to see you referenced, this blog and TFT are the only things that have kept me sane, whilst the ECB have carved up international cricket and wallowed in self-congratulatory back patting

14. Mark April 11, 2015 / 8:40 pm

Congratulations Dmitri on the recognition. Well deserved!

The whole issue about journalists and how they cover people is well understood in American politics. The term that is used is “access.” Essentially it works like this. If you attack the politicians they won’t give you access to the big players and the breaking stories. You will be frozen out. Therefore you tread carefully if your model is based on getting lots of shinny interviews with the movers and shakers. It’s no surprise that Watergate was broken by 2 rookie journalists. The big players in the media wouldn’t touch the story with a barge pole. And the editor of the Washington post was put under huge pressure to pull the plug and shut down the coverage.

Of course the problem is these so called big set piece interviews are usually meaningless. The politicians only want to use the media to push out their agenda. The politicians have become very clever in the way they play these games. And they have the modern luxury of knowing the MSM network news channels have to make a profit. If you bite the hand that feeds you, then you won’t attract the corporate sponsors.

To me the whole KP/MSM/ECB issue has all been about access. We now know in the recent World Cup, Downton was in Australia briefing/criticising journalists who dared to attack the team. Giles Clark lead a one man raid on the Sky commentary box to warn off Warne from criticising Cook. How much more has gone on in the shadows? How much of the coverage is determined by what the editor or propriorptor of the newspaper wants. Is Paul Darce a cricket fan?

One of the most suspicious things about this story is how the MSM all got in line with the ECB from the start. As Dmitri said there were always going to be some people who did not like KP, and some people who liked Cook and thought he was a good captain. The fact that almost all the MSM thought this, and thought Downton was just fine is what makes people get angry. Agnews round table TMS discussions with the major media players in the summer were like ECB party conferences.

The ludicrous over reaction when the Indian series turned round was like nothing I have seen in English cricket before. Some journalists were almost demanding total surrender from our side, and that we be made to sign an oath of aligance to Cook. These people had lost the plot, and they were not acting as journalists. Even now many of them want only one thing from Graves, an undertaking that KP will never play for England again. It’s all they care about. And if that day ever comes when an announcement is made, they will declare victory, carry out a literal hanging, dance on his grave, and then return to their farms victorious.

• SimonH April 12, 2015 / 11:03 am

Mark, although I agree with much of what you say I think access is more of a two-way street than you’ve acknowledged.

Those granting the access are getting their side of the story out there. Otherwise the media can go to the opposition or simply guess. Then there is the attention – or being ‘part of the national conversation’ as seems to be the current vogue phrase. Finally there is always the possibility of regime change – become too close to one regime and when they fall their tame mouthpieces suddenly find themselves exposed in a strange new world.

As I’ve said before, there is a lot of mutual need involved. And a lot of mutual bluff. The media have enough strong cards that, with a little skill and nerve, the price of access need not be becoming a doormat.

• BoerInAustria April 12, 2015 / 12:03 pm

” …it is the responsibility of the media in a democracy to inform the public about what their elected officials are doing and how they are handling their responsibilities, but it is equally important for non-political figures to be held accountable for what they do.

Business and community leaders of all kinds can greatly affect the world, and it is the responsibility of the media to ensure that both positive and negative aspects of business and government are made public.

It is equally important that the public demands thorough, honest reporting from the media.”

– Bob Woodward (http://bobwoodward.com/question-answer)

” Actually it is what is known as being well connected a fundamental of good journalism”
        – Mike Selvey

Take your pick. and while I am at it:

“For the clarification of some: nothing I post here, or the Guardian chooses to put on its website, is an invitation from me to a dialogue.” – Selvey on Twitter

15. Boz April 11, 2015 / 8:45 pm

Brian wants to read the epic tales of media woe as analysed by the Glasgow Media Group – at which point it will become obvious who’s side the press are on.

16. escort April 11, 2015 / 9:35 pm

Well done Dimitri.

17. Clivejw April 11, 2015 / 9:59 pm

Hmmmph. I think that piece makes your blog sound more one-dimensional than it is. You’ve always been prepared to recognize sane voices in the press (Dobell) and even to see some good where I have trouble recognizing it myself (Agnew, Etheridge).

As a whole, the British cricket press deserved all the vitriol that came their way last year, and then some. They were exposed as clueless, vindictive, and above all, incurious. Not to mention in bed with the people who were leading the game into a rut while polishing each other’s backsides.

That a few press men (e.g. Booth, who didn’t exactly cover himself in glory last year, but is now virtually on the same page as us) are at last waking up and starting to do their jobs must be at least to some extent because you argued and won our case for us. You (and we) were right, and they were wrong.

There can be no going back, though, and I don’t think I will ever trust the mainstream press again.

18. Clivejw April 11, 2015 / 10:27 pm

Oh, and in case any of you are reading this — what annoyed me most of all, amid stiff competition, was the endless repetition of the claim that Cook has “inner steel.” You must be aware that there is no truth in this at all, but you were still prepared to repeat it almost as often as members of the team were forced to trot it out (which was about as often as they used to talk about “bowling in the right areas”). Do you take us for fools?

19. MM April 11, 2015 / 10:49 pm

Hey, well done you, sir!

Proper top blogger!!

20. Cato Junior April 12, 2015 / 9:18 am

I just wanted to say that, from my point of view, your blog has been essential reading through some of the most depressing months in English cricket for over a generation. I don’t always agree with you and your judgments on individuals (as opposed to the system) are often too harsh for my liking – with a few exceptions.

But you’ve done a heroic job. Without your persistence, and others’, there would have been not even the slim chance that now appears of setting the ship off on a better course. That ‘ship’, for me, is not the England team as such, but cricket as a whole and its place in public affections. It was nearly lost there for good, for a while. Maybe still could be.

Also, I’d second your defence of Carpenter against some of the criticisms coming his way. I happen to have come across him once or twice (not that he’d remember me or my name). He’s a very balanced, thoughtful fellow and a true enthusiast for the game. More to the point, he’s probably a little closer to the centre ground of public opinion than people on blogs like this are or want to be. Its as well to remember that there are plenty of fans out there who don’t fit the polarising caricatures established by the battle between the ECB and its critics.

Bravo, and above all keep writing!

(TheUtican)

21. alan April 12, 2015 / 11:21 am

I remember,towards the end of the last ashes series thinking that I wouldn’t be surprised if they made Pietersen the sole scapegoat for the fiasco. When it duly took place I was incensed with the ecb. My rage only increased with everything that followed.
    I couldn’t believe the response of the big beasts of the MSM. How could they conceivably think,whatever their opinion of Pietersen that this was fair?
    At the time I was only vaguely aware of what a blog was! My relief was great when last summer I somehow discovered Dmitri and TFT. It was brilliant to find other people who shared my indignation and were able to express it so passionately and fluently.
    Dmitri you deserve recognition for what you’ve done over the last year. You certainly have my gratitude. Also your many regular commenters. Thanks again and keep it coming!

22. OscarDaBosca April 12, 2015 / 2:04 pm

I just want to say well done for the recognition in Wisden, and a heartfelt thanks for spending what must be considerable amounts of your free time in writing this blog.

To run a blog that is successful requires not only excellent content but a willingness to engage btl with your audience. You manage to acheive both feats with aplomb and for that I doff my cap to you sir.

23. Benny April 12, 2015 / 2:23 pm

Congratulations Dmitri. Deserved recognition not least for all the hard work you put in. What I love about this blog and TFT is that they’re always alive. Many others are updated once a month or less.

What stands out for me is not just “professional independence” – this blog is Us, if you see what I mean. It represents and makes public the views of countless proper cricket supporters. Hope you carry on forever

24. Silk April 12, 2015 / 6:58 pm

I like the blog and I think the articles are excellent. And balanced. Sometimes comments go a bit OTT (I’ve been as guilty as anyone on this score, certainly BTL on the G) but I don’t think I’ve seen LCL write anything out-of-order. I may have disagreed with some, but as we all say, that’s fine. Good, even.

Keep up the excellent work.

KP scored today. Given how hard the rest of the Surrey top 6 found it, they couldn’t have been very easy runs, though sterner tests (and maybe Tests) await, of course.

25. James April 13, 2015 / 12:26 am

As an Australian (outside English cricket…) I perhaps haven’t felt exactly the need for your dissenting voice that others are expressing here, but I’ve greatly appreciated both of your blogs anyway, whether I’ve agreed with your line or not. I came to your blog in the first place after reading some Mike Selvey columns, after the Ashes, that made me feel sick at heart. When you’re in an audience, and wondering if you’re the only one feeling that particular way about what you’re being told, it helps a great deal to glance sideways and see incredulity on the faces of others. That’s what your blog has done for me.