Sri Lanka v England ODI Series – And A Month Off!

Yes. We are very late to this series, and for that apologies. We aren’t full time bloggers, we have lives, we have busy jobs. When the pressures of these combine, and where there isn’t international cricket that stirs the blood, we struggle. So sorry to all of you who check in here day in day out for the lack of content. We usually go down for a while at this time of year unless there is something that really drives us.

From my personal circumstances, the last three weeks have been horrendous. First I came down with a pretty naughty virus, which without being too graphic, meant I lost a stone in weight in 7 days. Now the task is to keep those less than marginal gains off – those of you who have met me will know I need to lose a lot more than a stone! But with that stress came something a lot lot worse. Those of you who follow the Lord Canis Lupus Twitter feed will see the picture of my beloved border collie, Jake. He was 10 years old last Sunday. For a couple of weeks leading up to his birthday we were extremely worried he wouldn’t make it. He has long spells, around 12-18 hours, where he is listless, doesn’t eat, can’t move and generally looks terrible. It is heartbreaking to see. The vet has him diagnosed with early kidney disease, but we also fear it is neurological. 3 days between each of these episodes and you wouldn’t believe we have an ill dog. Both my wife and I are stressed beyond belief over this. So if you want reasons for why I’m not even posting comments, and my twitter feed is sparse, or talking about my dog, then you have them there.

So here is a post to comment on the current one day international series. The first game in Dambulla was rained off with England batting, and today’s looks like being curtailed due to the same issue. Despite getting up at 5:40 to walk my stricken pooch, I completely forgot the game had started, so no comments on our innings until I see the highlights. 278 looks a decent total, and the opening salvo, where England took 5 wickets before Sri Lanka got to 80 pretty much proves it. The sixth wicket partnership put on over 60 before the torrential rains interrupted, and for all money ended, the action. England will take a one-nil lead into the third game on Wednesday in Kandy.

Of course, Olly Stone bowled something a little quicker than we used to, bounced out Dickwella, and the media went quietly mad. I love it. We do love a small sample size. That said, we desperately need new bowling talent with our top test bowlers getting on in years. Chris Woakes at the other end bowled very well to take 3 top order wickets and keeps up his impressive record recently in overseas ODIs.

With the batting driven by Morgan (92) and Root (71), England get important middle order runs when we’ve increasingly relied on the top order fireworks or Jos Buttler bashing the hell out of it. It would be nice to see these guys all being able to contribute on the way up to next year’s World Cup.

So, comment away on the ODIs.

Elsewhere, since I last wrote, Surrey have won the county championship, Rory Burns has got an England call up, and more mysteriously to me so has Joe Denly (no, seriously, I don’t have a clue behind the thinking on that one. Joe Clarke has to be miffed. Please tell me he’s not been picked because he can bowl spin). The season even finished with an absolute thriller between Surrey and Essex carried live on Sky. I am biased, I know, as a Surrey fan, but it has been an excellent season for county cricket. The concept of the Hundred gets more and more ludicrous, but one feels, as is typical with pretty much all top management around the world, to admit an error is seen as grave weakness. Top management does not like to admit the hoi polloi have a better insight than them. To admit that would be to admit that anyone could do their jobs, and that wouldn’t do. Despite everything the guardian authority threw at county cricket this year, it threw it back with excellent county games, a really good Finals day with a terrific story (how good was Moeen as skipper?), and a fervent base amplifying their love for the game, not retreating. We all distrust sporting authorities. That comes with being a fan. But the relationship between a lot of supporters and the ECB is beyond distrust. It’s raw, unfettered rage.

And given what the Wisden Almanack review of this blog this year said, I’m probably the angriest one around. Weren’t impressed. The fulsome praise for Chris was absolutely merited. The preamble wasn’t. But hey, if they are talking about us, we’re winning right?

In the test match world we saw the awesomely talented Prittvi Shaw make a blazing test hundred. Only the Sky Sports Cricket Channel, there for all us devoted cricket fans, never bothered to buy the rights. Let me know if it’s available on Virgin Media, anyone. Shaw made 70 this morning as the Indians are just a few runs behind West Indies’ first innings total with four down and Rahane and Pant in full flow. As I said, I have to envision this in my head because Sky Sports Cricket can’t even red button this. Or is it hidden on one of their other channels.

In Dubai we saw classic test cricket. After two days attritional cricket, where “experts” queued up to decry this dull boring test cricket as killing the game, we saw just how great the sport can be. Australia looked to be killing off the game, but collapsed in a heap in their first innings. Pakistan got caught between two stools in their second innings, but still set up an academic 472 target. Khawaja, Finch and Tim Paine played magnificent innings in rearguard, and Australia had 12 or so overs left and five wickets in hand. A flurry of wickets, and it was 8 or so with two wickets. Nathan Lyon stuck it out with Paine for a thrilling draw. A terrific game, a great finish, and all from a test written off after two days as a killer for cricket. You think these people would learn.

I’ve caught some of the Carribean 50 over competition on BT Sport. Blimey its bobbins. No wonder the game is struggling.

So, once again, apologies for the lack of posts. We will try to do better. Hopefully Jake’s condition stabilises and I can think more about here, than on issues outside of here. It’s also MLB post-season and my Red Sox beat the MFYs (the Y is Yankees, you work out the rest) and will no doubt get belted by the Houston Astros in the semi-final stage. There’s a lot going on, and a lot to do.

Comments on all aspects of the sport at present, below. We will back sooner.

21 thoughts on “Sri Lanka v England ODI Series – And A Month Off!

1. LordCanisLupus October 13, 2018 / 12:00 pm

I did leave out the Test Match Social / Talksport / Guerilla Cricket stuff. Count me as a bemused bystander – and not so innocent.

I am going to be honest. I once had to listen to Guerilla Cricket when I couldn’t get to watch or listen to the normal sources when I was on holiday in New Jersey. While I know my tastes are certainly not those of all, and more importantly I recognise that, I couldn’t get on with it. It was if they were trying too hard. They provide a service, but it’s the last resort for me. I absolutely recognise that others love it, and good on them. People either like this blog, or they hate it. As you know, I take those that hate it with good grace and equanimity!!!!

Talksport have decided to flex their muscles again and TMS is booted off. Last time I remember them butchering the coverage, there were adverts a plenty, and lots of in game commercial plugs for the programme sponsors. I despise that. It’s the thing that grates on me with US sports coverage. I’ve not had the chance to listen to them yet, so have to go in with an open mind. Which is tough given it has Lord Haw Haw Nicholas on comms.

Not listening to Test Match Social. Not for me. I’d rather read my book on the train!

2. Rooto October 13, 2018 / 12:33 pm

I’m particularly gutted that TMS didn’t get the rights to this tour as their commentary would have been guaranteed Lovejoy-free. As I have two Strictly Come Dancing obsessed daughters, the cricket is about the only time i can get away from his weirdly-grinning face.
    Guerrilla Cricket is fine for their commentary – some of them good, some tooth-grindingly annoying – but technically speaking, it keeps cutting out on me, so it’s a frustrating experience trying to listen on my phone.
    As for today’s match, it’s good to see Morgan in form. I just wish they’d play Hales instead of Stokes or Dawson. I think extra bowlers in a 50-over match is a bit of an extravagance
    Best wishes to you, Lady Lupus and your canis.

3. Benny October 13, 2018 / 12:39 pm

Best wishes for your collie. Some things are more important than cricket or the internet

4. OscarDaBosca October 13, 2018 / 12:55 pm

Ill dogs are like ill children, much more important that this blog. Best wishes to Jake from me (and Sidney my 🐶)

5. Zephirine October 13, 2018 / 4:55 pm

Paws are crossed here for Jake.

• Rohan October 13, 2018 / 6:35 pm

Yes, same here, lovely breed of dog!

6. Rohan October 13, 2018 / 6:31 pm

Good to have an update gents! Although looking forward more to the tests than this ODI series, however, it was good to see Malinga out there playing!

On another note, just reading an Anderson interview on BBC website and I’m gobsmacked by this comment, surely it’s tongue in cheek, see for yourselves –

“When Brendon McCullum was New Zealand captain, he made it all about being entertaining and showing off your skills,” he said.

“Both Eoin Morgan in ODIs and Alastair Cook in Tests took from his way and tried to incorporate it into their captaincy.”

• oreston October 13, 2018 / 7:50 pm

Maybe there’s an alternative reality somewhere in the Multiverse where the Alastair Cook part of that quote makes some sort of sense. Maybe Anderson is an interdimensional traveller and he momentarily forgot which World has was in. You see? There are perfectly credible explanations available, if one only stops to think of them.

• Zephirine October 13, 2018 / 8:55 pm

I think the key word here is ‘tried’. Morgan also succeeded.

Alternatively, Anderson said Alastair Cook but he actually meant Joe Root.

Or Oreston is right and it’s those pesky parallel universes again.

7. Zephirine October 13, 2018 / 9:00 pm

Morgan (92) and Root (71)

That’s very pleasant to read, isn’t it?

• Deep Purple Fred October 14, 2018 / 6:54 pm

The rest of the world would be in deep shit if those two got their act together consistently. Fortnately for the rest of the world they havent.yet.

• Zephirine October 15, 2018 / 10:10 am

Typical Morgan, too – he gives a press interview where he says of course if doesn’t get enough runs he’ll be prepared to drop himself from the team, and then goes and makes a score that adds “but that won’t be necessary, thanks for asking”.

8. dlpthomas October 14, 2018 / 2:12 am

Early days but Ollie Stone looked good. (He’ll look even better with Archer from the other end)

9. Rooto October 14, 2018 / 6:28 am

Great fightback from W. Indies, and Jason Holder in particular, this morning. Now it’s time for Kraigg Brathwaite to pull out his ‘one big score per series’. I think all those people recently saying Alastair Cook was the last of his kind had rather forgotten about Kraigg Brathwaite. Come on Kraigg!

• LordCanisLupus October 14, 2018 / 8:01 am

Gone a bit pear shaped this morning. 45 for 4 as I write. Just when you get some hopes up, they go and dash them.

• Rooto October 14, 2018 / 9:37 am

Good job this isn’t the sort of blog that believes in jinxes, or I’d be in trouble…

• quebecer October 19, 2018 / 1:41 pm

It certainly was an drastic invitation to engage in Pakistani cricketing stereotyping. I shall decline..

Still. Bloody funny though.

P.S. It really is depressing how good we made the Marsh brothers look last winter.

• Grenville October 19, 2018 / 4:22 pm

Also depressing is how good this Pakistan team could be if they ever got any cricket. 6 from Mohammed Hafez, Sami Aslam, Iman ul Haq, Azhar Ali, Asad Shafiq, Babar Azam, Harris Sohail, Fakar Zaman, Samiudin and Fawad Alam has to have potential as a great unit. (sorry about the spellings). Abbass and Shah are the real deal. There has to be enough bowling depth in Pakistan to make a great team. Of course, they won’t get any games and they will all end up as bitter old men bickering over selection.

• quebecer October 19, 2018 / 4:31 pm

Fair point. Though we get lots of games but still end up bitter old men bickering over selection.

• Grenville October 19, 2018 / 4:43 pm

You’ll always have Leeds in May 2018.