Not A Preview Of The 2nd ODI

One more point and we can’t lose the Super Series. Pray for rain.

After the tumultuous finish to the first ODI at Trent Bridge, courtesy of celebrating too early, a first List A 50 by Woakes and the Honey Monster mullering a maximum off the last ball to tie, we move to Birmingham for the first post-Referendum ODI. Will it be Isolated England or EU England suiting up? If the London Mayoral count is anything to go by, the result will be in by the time they’d switch the floodlights off. If we’re lucky. But enough of that.

So while the selectors discharge themselves from hospital for patting themselves on the backs too hard and causing multiple bruising (for the faith in Woakes – Lizzy and Dobbs still remain under observation) the top order travails can be put aside for another day (Root is in need of some confidence, because getting it back against Pakistan can be tough). The stage is clear for this game as the Euros are on a two day break, Wimbledon hasn’t started yet and Jamie Vardy spoils all the fun and signs a new contract.

I’m glad some of you are enjoying it. I quite enjoyed Buttler and Woakes and the finale, and I’d be lying if I said otherwise, but it’s fluff. It’s good fluff, but fluff nonetheless. I’m much more thrilled that Surrey won a Division One game before Noah parked his vessel at the OCS Stand End.

So comment away on the second match. I have heard from Chris, who, in homage to Alan Whicker, will be jetting away somewhere else next week. With this bloody weather, who can blame him? The Cricket Paper is out tomorrow as well. Let’s have it.

Fire away.

22 thoughts on “Not A Preview Of The 2nd ODI

1. Sean B June 23, 2016 / 8:47 pm

Aside from the meaningless ‘super series’ a piece on Compton that’s actually fair and balanced – http://www.espncricinfo.com/england/content/story/1028885.html

I hope Newman and Pringle are happy that a man (who albeit wasn’t cut out for Test cricket – 16 matches at an average of 28 says it all) could potentially jack it all in, because he’s had enough of the negative crap that’s been written about him.

I do despair at times and only wish Newman, Selvey and Stocks etc had the same scrutiny about the bullshit they write.

Rant over..

• LordCanisLupus June 23, 2016 / 8:56 pm

“His style of play – sedate by comparison to most contemporary players – was always a talking point and he picked up a couple of vocal critics in the media. ”

To read last week’s Cricket Paper (and that individual’s tweets about him) is one thing. That sort of criticism, when aimed at someone else, was called “abuse”. But Pringle and Newman were particularly harsh on him. This isn’t the boy scouts, but the undercurrent from his dismissal, and that three of his prominent critics seem to be very pro-Essex, seemed very coincidental to me.

But hey. Let’s move on, eh?

• SimonH June 23, 2016 / 9:22 pm

Heaven help me for slightly defending Selvey but I don’t think he’s been particularly anti-Compton. I haven’t read too much of his recent stuff but from what I have read, it’s mainly Finn he’s had it in for.

In addition to Pringle and Newman (and following the Essex connection), Nasser Hussain has been another to pile into Compton. Writing that Compton was “weird” seemed to me to go beyond proper or acceptable comment. I can’t say if Hussain has been as bad on commentary because I mute it most of the time.

• d'Arthez June 24, 2016 / 9:00 pm

I imagine that being “Weird” is presumably the reason Steven Davies was never picked again for England duty, after coming out?

Can the Kommentariat at least move to the 21st century, and come up with a slightly meritocratic reason / explanation on why Compton should not be picked?

2. Sean B June 23, 2016 / 9:27 pm

Nothing to see here, he’s not from the right sort of family, move on. Oh yes, and he plays slows..

I’m sure Andy Flower has a better ECB fit, after all, Michael Vaughan said so on Skysports News.

• sidesplittin June 24, 2016 / 12:37 pm

You think he’s worth a place in Eng’s best XI ?

• alan June 24, 2016 / 2:01 pm

Clearly he’s not. That fact one presumes could have been established one way or the other on the pitch without the type of criticism he has endured from the usual sources. It’s the type of ‘journalism’ which many previous England captains would doubtless recognise having suffered it themselves. Not of course the present incumbent

• Sean B June 24, 2016 / 7:59 pm

No I don’t, he had 16 matches with an average of 28. That shows he hasn’t been able to transition from County to Test Level. No argument from me there.

However, having most of the MSM declare you’re both not good enough nor the right type of person before every innings of his 2nd stint would sevely hamper most sane individuals.

I would challenge you around how good your performance at work would be if you were under the same pressure, day in, day out?

Not very good, I would guess.

3. Andy June 24, 2016 / 9:18 am

the BBC news article about Compton had an interview with Frazer saying how Compton has really struggled with Phil Hughes death (and still does to an extent).

I didn’t know it but hughes played at Middlesex and they shared a house/flat.

Compton also talked to Hughes a lot about his form and being dropped by England (there is a suspicious part of me that wonders if the Press were not happy with an England player talking to and Aus one about such things).

• BoredInAustria June 24, 2016 / 1:48 pm

I missed this / forgot. This was what he said last year November RE Hughes and his state of mind the year before..

“I went back to South Africa over Christmas (2014) having been at his funeral and I felt incredibly flat. I found it very hard to get out of bed in the morning, to motivate myself, to pick up the pieces again. I hit a wall,” he says. “One of my attributes is that when I do something, I like to do it with a certain intensity, and I just felt like that period had gone….. I felt empty. Cricket felt totally insignificant.” (http://www.bbc.com/sport/34913878)

The ECB is having a great track record of looking after players in such situations…..

• Mark June 24, 2016 / 2:37 pm

Who will be the first scumbag in the media to attack him as being a soft touch in 5,4,3,2,1?

• Sean B June 24, 2016 / 8:02 pm

I didn’t know that, thanks Andy. That does explain a lot.

4. Escort June 24, 2016 / 10:46 pm

Good win for England, and we have achieved Brexit as well😀😀

• Rooto June 25, 2016 / 10:31 am

Other views are equally valid. For example I couldn’t raise any interest in last night’s cricket as I felt betrayed by my countrymen.

• alecpaton June 25, 2016 / 11:23 am

Frankly, going to the cricket yesterday was pretty much the only thing motivating me out of bed. I was genuinely worried that the atmosphere of the crowd could get ugly but besides the Hollies Stand being its usual bastion of understated good taste and too many drunken renditions of the national anthem (admittedly one rendition is too many) but everything went off in good cheer.

• Rooto June 25, 2016 / 4:56 pm

Very well said, Alec. My feelings, at least, will recover. As for the rest, well, this is a cricket blog. 🙂

5. pktroll (@pktroll) June 25, 2016 / 8:35 pm

After yesterday’s result I am not only outside cricket, but I’m outside England/UK. Fuerza Londres!

6. man in a barrel June 25, 2016 / 9:33 pm

So it seems that Anderson might have a stress fracture of a shoulder blade! A strange injury indeed. To me, it suggests that he has been getting too many injections in that particular joint, which has had the effect of thinning the bone structure, which given his workload has led to this. No doubt the ECB medical team will provide a comprehensive rebuttal.