Times of Lupus

Hello all.

Just a quick few updates on things as they stand.

Ashes Panel #001 will be up as soon as either Hillel or PaulE get their responses to me! I’m promised one response this afternoon (and I can add the other’s later). Good stuff so far. I thought I’d also set down some etiquette rules with it. I’m really grateful these people have put in time and effort to respond so be polite, people. Disagree, but don’t abuse. This will work if we do it right.

The second set of questions will be out for the next wave of the panel in the next day or so. A third set will come out for the third group towards the end of the week. I have 15 or so volunteers so grateful for that.

I am pleased people like the Ashes flashbacks, and I’m enjoying reading the individual stories you have. Please, please keep them coming.

The Leg Glance is back from his work assignment and has a couple of good things lined up for you.

I’m watching Cricket Writers on TV and it is one of the better ones. I think this is down to Charles Colvile actually, who asks journalist questions rather than some of the “how great were we” that Allott seems to be adroit at. I’ve always had a bit of a thing against Allott from 2002. We were queueing up in a long old line to get throught Brisbane passport control, and in front of me was a true England legend, one of the few who had made a triple hundred in tests, and there, breezing through on my right was Paul Allott. If I was John Edrich, I’d have been mad as a mongoose. Well, I was mad…..

Colvile posed questions on ICC that were asked in a really direct way. Etheridge is correct in that it doesn’t interest people who read the Sun, but that doesn’t make it right. Curbing the World Cup to 10 teams in perpetuity it seems. I’ve not gone on at the ICC on this blog, and that’s because I can only have a go at the ECB really before my head spins off its neck! But this is a load of convenient blindness. SimonH pointed out the tweets yesterday. The game itsn’t being developed properly. Hoult was right that England has been a soap opera, and that this takes precedence.

Etheridge of course, is wrong about his men in boots, men in suits, because while we all love (most of the time) watching the men in boots, it’s the men in suits relieving me of my money, determining what I watch and how much I pay for it, and determine what is right for me. Hence I can, and do, write about the men in suits.

OK. More later, including another Ashes memory possibly from me.

12 thoughts on “Times of Lupus

1. Arron Wright Jun 28, 2015 / 1:29 pm

Apparently the actions of the suits don’t even interest Guardian readers, so the Sun has no chance. I wonder if they have the ICC board minutes but have chosen not to run the story…

2. Mark Jun 28, 2015 / 1:40 pm

I decided to watch the re run after Simon H said who was on. Sky don’t know what to do with Charles Coleville. He is way better than either Allot or David Gower as a presenter. But of course he didn’t play at the highest level so can’t be taken seriously.

Etheridge was very much on ECB message about the Craig Kieswetter interview. Even mentioned the dreaded “bitter” word. Anyone who says anything about that period from the KP perspective has to be dismissed. Tried to play down his comments about dressing room disharmony. Claimed that players don’t have to get along in dressing rooms. Well done to Lizzy for pointing out that you can’t have it both ways. You can’t claim it doesn’t matter then have Strauss say team trust and bonding is the key issue.

Etheridge looked like the ECB hack he is. No surprise he is not interested in the ICC. Funny thing is he now supports all the things that we have been saying, like Peter Moores shouldn’t have been re appointed as coach. But he has the cover of it being done by an ECB man in Strauss. So he can now support it.

• Mark Jun 28, 2015 / 1:46 pm

Oh and Lizzy also pointed out it reinforced the KP bullying claims.

She then made a joke about how it was the cool kids vs the not so cool kids, but we can’t say that because it will upset Swann. Priceless.

I bet she won’t be asked back on. Especially if Selvey is on.

• escort Jun 28, 2015 / 3:38 pm

As a “freelance” is she not able to offer her own genuine view as opposed to those who work for a publication who might be constrained by an editor?

• LordCanisLupus Jun 28, 2015 / 1:58 pm

To be fair to Etheridge, he said at the time the appointment of Moores lacked credibility. He was surprised at it at the time.

• Mark Jun 28, 2015 / 2:28 pm

Etheridge also rolled out the Cook party political broadcast by repeating Cooks claims that the turning point of the summer was the Stokes partnership at Lords. Which according to Cook, kick started the summer.

A slightly odd claim when England then lost the Yorkshire test match. But hey, it lets Cook try to take credit on the positive ODI vibe, by saying it had already started under his leadership.

The hacks then give all the credit to Strauss/cook. I think I will throw up.

3. SimonH Jun 28, 2015 / 2:25 pm

Matt Prior speaks out to Sam Peters:

Let’s declare where I’m coming from first. I was and remain fairly agnostic on Prior – he wasn’t a great favourite nor do I believe I have an irrational dislike of him. He served England well with the bat and worked hard to improve his keeping. I don’t think Pietersen’s comments about him in ‘the book’ were particularly advisable although I also think they have been somewhat misunderstood. Pietersen, in my view, was largely railing against ‘Matt Prior’, not so much the person but a media construct said to embody all that was selfless and noble within the team (in contrast to the media construct ‘Kevin Pietersen’ who was a c***). It was the double standard Pietersen was trying to get at.

With that out of the way, a few comments caught my eye:

“Prior…. kept a dignified silence during a sustained public attack by Pietersen last October”.

Well, he could do so knowing the media would take up his cause (see Brenkley on 18/11 for an example). Also, Prior was still hoping for a comeback so was not a free agent.

“‘‘When you get accused of some of those things… being called a bully is a massive thing and not something you take lightly. Of course you’re going to defend it and I don’t believe I am a bully for one minute'”.

Fair enough – I think ‘bully’ was probably the wrong word. However there was something wrong in the team – they were concerned enough to have a team meeting about it. Prior doesn’t really address it beyond simply saying he doesn’t recognise the description. He doesn’t seem able to consider how it felt for Trott or Panesar or those outside ‘the bowlers’ group’.

“‘‘I’d be going against my beliefs if I suddenly came out with a whole load of stuff. I don’t want to do that…. there are certain things that stay in the dressing room'”.

This gets close to “I know all sorts of stuff but I’m not going to tell you” territory. That dressing room leaked like a drain so the sanctity of the dressing room angle rings pretty hollow. I doubt Prior was involved in much of that seepage – but when your side of the argument is getting into the public domain (through unattributed briefings by the coach I would surmise) then you don’t need to.

“‘‘It became clear to me during that Lord’s Test against India last summer that I wasn’t able to perform to the level I needed to'”.

It was clear to most on-lookers at Headingley two Tests earlier. How did Prior get cleared to play the first two Tests against India? There then follows some excruciating details about how much pain Prior was in – but no reflections on a set-up where that was allowed to happen.

All in all, I’m left with the same impression that I had after Moores’ recent interview – that someone with real and genuine grievances against the ECB is unable or unwilling to express a word of direct criticism of that body and its conduct. How we’ve reached that state of affairs (and how unhealthy it is for everyone – including ultimately the ECB itself) is the tale of our times.

• SimonH Jun 28, 2015 / 2:30 pm

PS. My thoughts on CWOTV, if anyone’s bothered, are on the ‘Ashes exchange of views, pt2’ thread.

4. SimonH Jun 28, 2015 / 4:28 pm

No Alastair Cook puff piece for at least 36 hours so time for –

Using new (I wouldn’t call Lyth especially young) players as Cook’s human shields was one of ‘New England’s more unlikable features last year. With Cook ‘back to his best’ (TM) you’d think that was no longer necessary but apparently old habits die hard.

So we learn that –

“It’s testament to his character that he’s come through all the criticism. A lesser bloke would have packed it in. Alastair’s not that bloke”.

(All what criticism?)

“He’s a fantastic captain and a fantastic batsman. He’s the leading ­run-scorer for England with almost 9,000 runs, including 27 hundreds”.

(Do real cricketers talk like? Do you have to learn selected Cooky stats before selection? And the sliding together of Cook’s batting and captaincy is a classic of the genre….)

” I wouldn’t be surprised if there’s three or four thousand more runs from him.”

(Only three or four? Oops).

“I respect him immensely. He’s a lovely man. One of the nicest blokes I’ve met. He’s down to earth.”

(Where do you start….?)

• escort Jun 28, 2015 / 5:00 pm

With a puke bag?

• Mark Jun 28, 2015 / 5:21 pm

““He’s a fantastic captain”

He lost me right there.

While I realise he can’t say anything else less he risk deportation to South Australia, it is pitiful to read. I wonder if this is written into their contracts they must say stupid shit?

• dlpthomas Jun 29, 2015 / 12:55 am

If a Australian captain had to be repeatedly defended in such fashion, he would be laughed out of the game.