England v New Zealand – 1st ODI

First up, apologies.

Life has been absolutely manic for me in the past week. It started with a day trip to Monaco, included getting a massive work effort in by Friday and culminated today in a promotion interview. I hope you can excuse me from not posting on here.

I’ve been following the comments but not, in truth, the papers in the past week. I had my own feelings on the loss of the second test, as retold in the “wanderer” post below, but it really as if it hadn’t happened. I’m at a loss to understand why Day 4 at Headingley this year is any different from Day 4 last year. I’m at a loss to understand how Adam Lyth is different to Sam Robson, yet. I’m at a loss to understand how a 4th innings collapse at Headingley differs from the year before, save for the fight from the lower order lasting a darn sight more last year. No. Nothing.

That’s because one of the things I did see this week was Cricket Writers, which spent its first 10 minutes or so with no more a topical hard-hitting discussion than “Alastair Cook is really brilliant, discuss.” The defeat was shrugged off, the portents not really taken in. Still, we’ve no reason to be concerned, because all in the garden looks rosier. Kevin who?

Tomorrow we start the one day series against New Zealand. Last time we played them in an ODI we were demolished. Now we have another new dawn. There’s fresh batting talent and a new-look bowling attack. People are talking about positive cricket, and new brands. Trevor Bayliss is the man because he’s taken a sub-continental team to a sub-continental World Cup Final and is going to be the man for ODI cricket.

Excuse me if I wait a while before coronating anyone or anything.

I’m not going to be able to watch much, and if the trees keep growing the way they are, won’t be able to watch any Sky cricket in the next few weeks. That’ll need to be sorted. Any comments on the game below, or on anything else that takes your mind.

Meanwhile, Australia steamroller the West Indies in three days and people still don’t want to join the dots.  It’s the life we lead.

81 thoughts on “England v New Zealand – 1st ODI

1. Riverman2103 Jun 8, 2015 / 8:44 pm

Love this website. Along with The Full Toss has become my first stop for the most honest and interesting debates on cricket. No coronations unlike the MSM rush to anoint after the first test. And yet this could be the first time since The Ashes I could feel enthusiastic about an England team. Why?

We have the first side since with none of the key players from the clique involved in KP Genius or handing the dagger to Flower. I will be supporting the XI tomorrow in full for the first time since Sydney.

Meanwhile they still give more reasons to despair.
    Broad announcing to all that his one day career isn’t over. The same strain of ego that saw Prior attempt to hang on to his place by his own announcements.
    Cooks switching from his references to Straussy has now veered to Mr Bayliss.
    The fact that we spent two years giving different openers the poisoned chalice when all along all Compton Carberry et al needed to do was be picked when Cook was in form.

So I’ll take a small comfort tomorrow from Eoin leading this team out.

• Zephirine Jun 8, 2015 / 9:46 pm

Good point about the clique-free side. I’m still an Eoin Morgan supporter, I know he’s been a disappointment to many recently, but I think Peter Moores was driving him mad – he’s no McCullum, but let’s see what he can do.

• "IronBalls" McGinty Jun 8, 2015 / 9:55 pm

Couldn’t agree more Zeph, one of my favourite cricketers. He was handed the biggest poison chalice, ever, before the WC whilst also enduring a form slump, and did the best he could with the environment he had to work with (endure!) Because his name’s not Cook he took a pasting for this from all the short termist usual suspects. I have faith in the lad, and feel sure it will be rewarded!

2. keyserchris Jun 8, 2015 / 8:59 pm

John Etheridge reporting that Roy & Hales have got the nod to open in all 5 ODIs v NZ. Maybe, just maybe, we’ve finally had a good idea…

• ArushaTZ Jun 8, 2015 / 10:40 pm

Good news hopefully. Although, George Dobell seems to think that James Taylor will miss out, so it’s not all good.

For me, the best three one-day players in county cricket are Taylor, Hales and Billings and it looks like only one of them will play tomorrow.

3. man in a barrel Jun 8, 2015 / 11:11 pm

I do not blame you. There are better things to do than watch crap cricket commented upon by morons knitting jumpers…. ie Atherton, Smith and poof Shane

4. BoerInAustria Jun 9, 2015 / 5:43 am

Good luck with the interview…Cricket writer at the Guardian perhaps?

• thebogfather Jun 9, 2015 / 6:17 am

Sadly, The G doesn’t do ‘angry’ or ‘eyes wide open’ reporting very well, let alone allowing ‘Outside’ in…

Best wishes Dmitri – hope you get what you want (and deserve)

btw…still waiting for the delights of your ‘TopOfThePopulists’ MSM league table!!!

5. metatone Jun 9, 2015 / 7:03 am

Good luck with the promotion!

6. metatone Jun 9, 2015 / 7:15 am

On the one hand, it’s a good opportunity for various players. On the other, NZ are flying high and for the bowlers in particular it could be a very rough day. I think the batsmen will get the opportunity to be aggressive and not be guillotined for the first failure. Not sure we’ve thought through the treatment of bowlers to the same degree.

• metatone Jun 9, 2015 / 8:37 am

Thinking about the bowling – can’t help but fear that Rashid is in as Scapegoat #1.
      However, I can’t see (as a Yorks fan) the logic in picking Plunkett either, to be honest.
      He’s not the profligate bowler of his youth, but he’s also hasn’t really torn up trees in the limited overs games I have seen. Maybe his advantage is that JG has upped his confidence in bowling the yorker. Still, it feels like a sop – “we should have picked you for the Test team, but didn’t have the guts to, so here’s a completely different game where you probably won’t prosper.”

7. Sherwick Jun 9, 2015 / 7:26 am

First test of the new principle: “Play without fear.. or else wake up to a horse’s head on your pillow’.

• thebogfather Jun 9, 2015 / 7:44 am

ECB only does Sheep heads… it’s the one bit they can’t flog to Waitrose from OurBelovedLeader’s farm…

8. d'Arthez Jun 9, 2015 / 7:58 am

First of all, good luck with your interview.

I said in the relevant (before Day 4) thread that I could not imagine Cook having a repeat of Headingley Day 4 against Sri Lanka. He did not. He did WORSE. The captaincy was as inspired as the bowling effort. Ineffective, outdated, clueless, hopeless, and displaying that people in charge of Waitrose XI are proudly unable to learn from their mistakes. The sheer lunacy is masked by the rain (which gave Waitrose XI a realistic sniff at a draw, due to losing 67 overs – if play had gone on after lunch, England might have reached the same score at tea Day 4 as they did at Lunch on Day 5; in short lose 5 of the top 6 for fewer runs than the bowlers willingly conceded to New Zealand on Day 4).

As desperate as the ECB, Cook and the MSM are to gloss things over, it will get them nowhere. A problem has never been solved by stubborn denial of its existence. It is a bit like the Late (West) Roman Empire, as it was collapsing left, right, and centre, to all and sundry. A multitude of civil wars did not make things better either. On paper the Empire may have looked formidable, but in practice, it was not much more than a hollow shell. Declaring the Emperor a god, did not mean that he was without human failings. Far from it.

The processes and machinations behind the scenes are so rotten, that the best England supporters can hope for is a temporary revival. A bit similar to 2009-2011. Serious reform is needed, and that won’t happen as long as the counties benefit from this idiocy.

As for the ODI series, think this team will do reasonably well. Mostly because of the fact that some of the more nefarious forces in Waitrose Cricket are not involved.

9. Sherwick Jun 9, 2015 / 8:08 am

My protest against Waitrose Cricket continued yesterday when I chose to do my food shopping in Marks & Spencer rather than pay a penny to Waitrose (and this despite being a Waitrose member too). Doubt that their CEO Mark Price gives a toss, but then, neither do I about them or the Waitrose Cricket team 🙂

10. Arron Wright Jun 9, 2015 / 8:13 am

I must confess that, especially after seeing the DOAG trailer, I have little to no interest in this ODI series. I won’t piss on anyone’s chips, but I will be very quiet on here. 5-match ODI series taking up virtually the WHOLE OF JUNE are a blight on the English game, sorry. The triangular ODI tournaments were acceptable: long bilateral ODI series in June and September just aren’t. I suppose I should be grateful that this series was at least attached to a mini Test tour, eh Giles?

*contemptuous silence*

“Next question.”

• metatone Jun 9, 2015 / 8:46 am

I’m more interested in ODIs than the average England fan, but you’re right to remind us that if nothing else this series is denying us a Third Test – a Decider. And that’s a nonsense…

• "IronBalls" McGinty Jun 9, 2015 / 8:47 am

with the obligatory “sneer”

• Burly Jun 9, 2015 / 8:56 am

God yeah, that Giles moment raised the hackles for sure. I am very happy I threw £20 at this project (but forgot to email them my details so Jarrod and Sam don’t officially owe me a hug)

• Arron Wright Jun 9, 2015 / 11:35 am

I’ve just realised who he reminds me of in terms of his fathomless capacity for inducing impotent rage, moral disgust and utter despair at the state of the world:

Noah Cross at the end of Chinatown.

• Zephirine Jun 9, 2015 / 1:02 pm

Giles Clarke is the man for whom the word ‘odious’ was invented.* He’s Dickensian in his odiousness. If he was a Dickens character he would have been called Obadiah Sneeriloft or something.

*Disclaimer: I write as a member of the paying cricket-supporting public; it is of course entirely possible that Mr Clarke is a kind neighbour, devoted member of his local community and lovely to his Mum. But difficult to believe.

• SimonH Jun 9, 2015 / 9:00 am

I really don’t think we should get into a mindset that ODIs against NZ are what is denying us a third Test against NZ. Too many Tests against Australia and India are what is denying us a third Test against NZ.

NZ are a thrilling ODI side and I’ll be delighted to watch them. I agree that a triangular tournament (involving either the other tourists or Ireland) would be a better format – and in the longer term using a points’ system like in the women’s game might be the way to go.

• metatone Jun 9, 2015 / 9:10 am

Good point about Ireland. Including them every year would be a great way to help develop the game there.
        You’d think the ICC would… oh… right….

• Arron Wright Jun 9, 2015 / 9:12 am

I accept the broader point, and acknowledge that NZ were always going to be shafted by being asked to play in an Ashes summer (again). But I just don’t think a Test: ODI ratio of 2:5 should ever have been considered acceptable, by anyone, anywhere. And it was those five ODIs – not Tests – against Australia in 2012 that deprived SA of another Test match. If they can get away with that (and they have), then they’ll keep doing it to the “lesser” countries.

• d'Arthez Jun 9, 2015 / 9:43 am

Practically a whole month of ODI cricket is overkill. It is just too slow. They could easily have turned it into a tri-series, or a quad-series, neither of which would have taken more time, and would have had the added advantage of allowing people to familiarise themselves with two teams other than Australia. Contrary to persistent rumours at the ECB, there are more teams to play against than Australia, and whatever team that is considered a warm-up for Australia playing.

As for Ireland, I think they’re contractually stuffed by the ECB. To be granted a washout every 2 years is not doing anyhing for Irish cricket.

Selection is also a bit iffy. The fact that the domestic List-A competition is only starting at the end of July, and thus that for a fair number of players in the squad, their last List-A efforts were in September last year.

I think the issue for the ECB is that having 5 ODIs means that five grounds make some money out of their investments, as opposed to one. And thus that counties that are presumably not high in the pecking order, can make some much needed money, to finance all the debts they got themselves into. After all, the ECB is effectively already paying their whole wage bill through the Sky deal. It is simply yet another price we pay for the lack of sustainability in the professional domestic game.

• metatone Jun 9, 2015 / 10:03 am

@D’Arthez
        Great point about the finances. Although we should remember that the ECB tendering process is designed to push all the risk on to the counties and pull as much of the money back into the ECB. So while it’s generally a plus for a county to get an ODI, it’s rarely makes the kind of sustainable difference ECB defenders like to pretend…

• SimonH Jun 9, 2015 / 10:24 am

England play more Tests than any other nation (four more than anyone else in the last three years) and are mid-table in terms of number of ODIs played (4th again using the last three years’ measure). To scrap an ODI series and add another Test would push England’s schedule even more out of kilter with other nations. Like most people here, I regard Tests as the pinnacle of the game but by not playing enough ODIs England would lose out on the interchange between the different formats of the game and miss what one-day play is bringing to the longer form (England are already behind on this and I wouldn’t want to make it worse).

It is also vital ODIs are played somewhere in June/July/August. ODIs can’t be shoved off into the May or September fringes where “English conditions” tend to prevail and England get an even more false idea of where they stand or how the game is developing.

I’m sure D’Arthez’s point about ODIs sharing ground allocation is part of the picture. However I also think the ECB are concerned that having won the CL in 2017 and WC in 2019 (and how wrong is that by the way – the same country having both those tournaments so close together? Part of the Big Three stitch-up of course as none of the ‘other’ nations has an international tournament scheduled) that England will stink the tournaments out again and we’ll be partying like it’s 1999 all over again.

• d'Arthez Jun 9, 2015 / 11:16 am

We must not forget that the English season runs at a unique time, compared to the rest of the world. I feel your figures are slightly misleading. And if we break down the raw numbers by home and away fixtures, we can see how lopsided the calendar is.

In terms of ODIs played at home (in the past 3 years), in bilateral and tri-lateral series only, Sri Lanka lead the pack with 36. England is second with 27 games, Australia third with 25. Which is the same number as India and New Zealand. West Indies are on 24, Bangladesh and Zimbabwe on 22. South Africa are on 19. Pakistan obviously mostly play in the UAE (21 games), and three games at home, after the series with Zimbabwe.

So among the top teams, South Africa play the fewest home games in ODIs (if we consider UAE home to Pakistan due to safety issues). England are second most playing, behind Sri Lanka. If we bear in mind that England also hosted the Champion’s Trophy 2013, and thus that June was lost for bilateral series. England would still be slightly behind Sri Lanka, but not by more than 4 games.

In terms of away fixtures, Pakistan have played 33 games. Sri Lanka 33. South Africa 32. England and India 29 games, West Indies 27, New Zealand 26, Australia 25. Zimbabwe 11, Bangladesh all of 9 games. Matches in the UAE have been included in these figures.

Pakistan have only played Australia (6), Sri Lanka (5), South Africa (5) and New Zealand (5) in ODIs in the UAE in the past three years.

I have excluded the World Cup and Champion’s Trophy from consideration, since that obviously would skew the figures greatly for the hosts of these tourneys.

11. amit Jun 9, 2015 / 9:28 am

Yeah, no place for Broad / Jimmy / Cook / Bell in ODIs in the foreseeable future.

There are some talented cricketers but i still get a feeling that squad is very very light on bowling resources. That should be a criticism of the bench strength (or its lack thereof) and of the previous regime for not developing enough players.

But, Young talent or not, England are not going to turn into world beaters overnight given they’ve really been horrible at the short format since 1992. Keeping expectations realistic from this bunch is the only expectation I have at the moment.

That the ECB doesn’t start shafting them immediately after the massacre this series is likely to be, is something I can only hope for.

12. Arron Wright Jun 9, 2015 / 9:55 am

Couple of our faves on Twitter extending more forgiveness to Chris Lewis than they appear capable of regarding certain other former England Test cricketers…

• Burly Jun 9, 2015 / 11:31 am

“A fundamentally good guy”

Jesus.

13. Arron Wright Jun 9, 2015 / 10:14 am

I do like a bit of ‘on this day in history’ type stuff.

So, on this day in 2005, Australia played their first match of *that* tour, beating the PCA Masters by eight wickets in a T20 at Arundel.

By coincidence, both the forgiven and the unforgiven (see previous post) were playing for the Masters. Meanwhile, one MJ Clarke began a decade of classless limelight-stealing by taking two wickets in two balls, the second being especially satisfying for lovers of joyless “banter”.

• Sherwick Jun 9, 2015 / 10:45 am

Amazingly, Chris Lewis’ last Test was in ’96 and his last ODI in ’98, loooong before this T20 in 2005!?

• metatone Jun 9, 2015 / 12:08 pm

PCA Masters = Oldies

14. Silk Jun 9, 2015 / 12:10 pm

Is it just me, or does the idea of Andrew Strauss being the man to lead not merely a revival, but actually a complete and utter transformation, of England’s approach to, and performances in, ODIs, seem a bit wierd.

Or, more succinctly. We are crap at ODIs. Strauss was a poor ODI performer, as batsman and Captain. Why is Strauss the man to change things for the better?

• metatone Jun 9, 2015 / 12:48 pm

It’s not just you.
      It is weird – we’re essentially being asked to believe that he’s a much better manager than he was player/captain. Which is not impossible, but we were sold his accession to this post on his qualities as a captain – so it’s all rather surreal…

• Zephirine Jun 9, 2015 / 1:08 pm

Wasn’t Strauss a better ODI batsman than is commonly supposed? Not that that alters your general argument, with which I agree.

But he’s been after this job for a long time, and has long established himself as the approved contender, one might say he’s been FD,EC. And we know how, with time, such appointments cease to be questioned. I think the saying is ‘getting your feet under the table’.

• Silk Jun 9, 2015 / 1:43 pm

I don’t think he was a better ODI batsman than commonly supposed. I think that this was bandied around by the MSM to shore up his captaincy in the run-up to the LAST WC and underlined by his brilliant ton against India in the tied match in that tournament.

Indeed, looking at his record up to the last WC, it was virtually identical to Cook’s in this WC. The similarities are staggering. Strauss/Cook – Matches 120/92, average 35/36, s/r 80/77, centuries 5/5

(Strauss then got that ton against India and ended his career with an average of 36, a few fractions of a run less than Cook)

15. SimonH Jun 9, 2015 / 12:39 pm

NZ won toss and bowl. Billings’ debut for England. Wood and Taylor not playing. Root at No.3. NZ give Santer a debut and rest Southee.

• d'Arthez Jun 9, 2015 / 12:45 pm

Captaincy experience for Taylor? Check. Suggests that he knows poses other than the teakettle. That is dangerous!
      Reasonable success when played in position? Check.
      Not scoring match winning 150s when being played out of position? Check.

Hence he has to be dropped. You’re almost starting to think that the ECB are desperate to prove KP right.

Admittedly Taylor’s form this season is not too great. But since, barring those who had the pleasure to mostly warm the benches during the World Cup as the Test team had to be played, they played their last List-A games in September last year …, form is non-existent for everyone.

16. PepperSydney Jun 9, 2015 / 12:43 pm

Again it has infuriated me that NZ win the toss and decide to bowl. it makes

Sense

Whatsoever

and is a sort of cricket Tourettes thingy of various NZ captains. …win toss, and the brain says , ‘bowl’… I ask you!!…

So I am going to bed in a snit, now.

17. Silk Jun 9, 2015 / 12:48 pm

Er, I don’t want to get down on England or anything, but our “bold new dawn” ODI bowling attack is Jordan, Plunkett, Finn.

I’d expect them all to go for a few…

• SimonH Jun 9, 2015 / 1:12 pm

Both Henry and Boult are younger than any of Finn, Jordan and Plunkett.

• metatone Jun 9, 2015 / 1:38 pm

I did worry about this (obliquely) upthread, as well.

• metatone Jun 9, 2015 / 1:43 pm

Dammit – pressed the wrong button.
        Highlights how the bowling remains an Achilles heel for England.
        They should have played Willey – when is a better time to find out how he can do?
        I would have said Footit should have been looked at – he can get some pace on the ball, he’s a left hander… again – if not now, at the beginning of the “new era” – when?

Esp. because as you say, none of Finn, Jordan & Plunkett look likely to prosper against NZ…

18. Silk Jun 9, 2015 / 12:54 pm

Oh, I missed this. Looks like Ravi joins the rest of us “outside cricket”

“After an initial – and by most accounts somewhat awkward – silence, one of the players started to talk. And while versions differ a little, the general consensus is that Ravi Bopara then delivered some home truths that cut to the heart of England’s problems. ”

George Dobell, of course – http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/content/story/885285.html

19. SimonH Jun 9, 2015 / 12:55 pm

Oh joy, Nick Knight is on as Sky’s “one day specialist”.

Has he been appointed to any role by Strauss? There was talk of it but I don’t remember any formal announcement.

• d'Arthez Jun 9, 2015 / 1:04 pm

Chief of leaks? After the dignified manner in which Moores’ sacking was handled by the ECB? Rumour has it after all that Mr. Knight confirmed matters.

Mind you Nick Knight was a decent ODI batsman. Second highest average for an England opener (minimum 20 matches), at a touch above 40. Only behind Bell. And 24th overall for openers. And given that scores have gone up in ODIs, you can argue that his listing on that international list is slightly depressed.

As a commentator, however, he is like a stuck record.

20. PepperSydney Jun 9, 2015 / 12:56 pm

I am propping myself up to hang in for this match , ( even though snitty ) because I now realise that McClenaghan is bowling for NZ and he is extreme eye candy to watch at his trade…….

21. hatmallet Jun 9, 2015 / 1:06 pm

Would have played Taylor and Willey over Morgan and Billings personally. But then Morgan is captain.

Good to see such an attacking team, though worried about bowling. Only Root as cover.

22. Arron Wright Jun 9, 2015 / 1:17 pm

I said I wasn’t that interested…

…then I saw they’d dropped James Taylor.

Cue obvious gags about scapegoating good performers in difficult winters while keeping faith with the captain.

Brave new world my arse.

23. Silk Jun 9, 2015 / 1:44 pm

Blistering start, lose a couple, slow down. Seems familiar…

• metatone Jun 9, 2015 / 1:49 pm

Someone just reminded me of what happened last time Finn bowled to NZ… ouch.
      Root is still putting bat to ball, but Morgan seems stymied…

• metatone Jun 9, 2015 / 1:50 pm

I type that, and then he takes the spinner for 6…

24. Amit Garg Jun 9, 2015 / 1:58 pm

Well played so far. But wait till you hear of this being Strauss’s masterstroke…

25. Silk Jun 9, 2015 / 2:24 pm

Root playing a different game to everyone else. Are we sure he isn’t secretly South African?

26. hatmallet Jun 9, 2015 / 2:38 pm

Having moaned about Morgan, he’s doing pretty well!

27. Phil Jun 9, 2015 / 2:51 pm

Root edges and out for 104. England 180/4 at 24.3 overs .At exactly this point in their last NZ ODI at the world cup they were 100/4, big difference.

28. SimonH Jun 9, 2015 / 3:17 pm

Third fastest England ODI hundred for Root.

Naming the other two made David Gower mention someone he prefers not to mention.

• hatmallet Jun 9, 2015 / 4:03 pm

The rate Jos is going, Root is going to be fourth soon.

29. pktroll (@pktroll) Jun 9, 2015 / 4:12 pm

I was fearful that at 200 for 5 England might subside to 230 all out. It could yet be above 350.

30. d'Arthez Jun 9, 2015 / 4:23 pm

It will be above 350. Tough chase on hands for New Zealand. Now, if the ECB had only gotten this memo 6 months ago …

• d'Arthez Jun 9, 2015 / 4:44 pm

First time England have breached the 400 barrier.

31. Zephirine Jun 9, 2015 / 4:49 pm

Fabulous stuff! Now watch NZ beat that score…. it could happen….

32. "IronBalls" McGinty Jun 9, 2015 / 4:57 pm

There are not enough plaudits! I only managed to catch the last 10 overs but, bloody hell! Well done lads, you done good! I know we haven’t ad a bowl yet, but there’s a huge smile on my face! Long time since that’s happened!!!

33. ArushaTZ Jun 9, 2015 / 5:00 pm

Huge credit to England. That was a superb, truly world-class ODI innings for the team.

Great attitude – go hard, lose wicket, go harder.

Finally they’ve got it right in ODI’s (six months too late).

I wonder if Alastair Cook still thinks he should be in this team?

• BoerInAustria Jun 9, 2015 / 7:42 pm

..and not to forget that Cook was part of Rashids non-selection in the WIs…

Very very well played England! (well still playing but…). Asking some huge questions regarding past decisions / selections etc.

But of course with StraussComa Andrew in charge we have moved on. Just blame it all on Moores!

Suddenly makes the ODIs interesting!
      Delighted for Finn and Rashid.

• northernlight71 Jun 9, 2015 / 9:04 pm

He could have done Jason Roy’s job, to be fair.

34. Sherwick Jun 9, 2015 / 7:11 pm

In other news, when asked if Pietersen should still be playing internationally, Sir Andy Roberts said: “If he’s still scoring the runs and he’s fit to play, then I see no reason why not.

“One of the things I see is that we must keep personal matters out of the sport.

“Everybody accuses him of being selfish but I know for you to be a top class sportsman, in any category be it a team or self, you have to be selfish.

“With a team sport, if the selfishness becomes a distraction on the team then you’re no good for the team.

“But if the selfishness is for yourself and your team benefits then there’s no problem with that. If Kevin Pietersen is selfish and goes out to bat and scores 100 in 80-odd balls, that must be for the benefit of the team.”

Anyway, Strauss knows better.

35. thelegglance Jun 9, 2015 / 7:20 pm

So this one is drifting (seems an odd way of putting it, but true) to a substantial England win. It’s actually been quite impressive.

36. lionel joseph Jun 9, 2015 / 7:33 pm

I like the look of this Adil Rasheed chap.

Perhaps England might like to give him a run in the test matches, could be more effective against the tail than bowling 70mph bouncers round the wicket.

But I suppose we’ll have to wait for the selectors to put him in the squad first

37. d'Arthez Jun 9, 2015 / 7:39 pm

And yet another yawnfest, which is the norm once a first innings score balloons out of control. Not being helped by the chasing team losing 3 wickets before the 100 is up.

In terms of competitive cricket, the ICC has succeeded in mostly killing that off in ODIs, due to the idiotic rule changes. Think some rule changes are due starting October 1st. Can’t wait for that. Can’t we get rid of some of the more idiotic rules?

Congratulations to this England side, and their supporters. Outbatted and outbowled New Zealand comprehensively.

The ECB blazers might not enjoy it much though. Seems that Rashid failed to fail.

38. dvyk Jun 9, 2015 / 7:46 pm

WTF happened with that?

I said in here a while ago that being horrendously poorly led and playing much worse than actual capabilities, means that it can be turned around quite quickly, but that’s even a bit more than I was thinking. The biggest question for me is what on earth was going on before and during the WC? What in god’s name were they doing?

(I am increasingly unhappy about Aus’s chances in the Ashes, looking at this. Cook can’t be relied on to throw away winning positions every single time he gets in one. Aust will be in big trouble whenever England put any kind of score on the board.)

• pktroll (@pktroll) Jun 9, 2015 / 7:57 pm

Don’t worry, the likely bowling selections and Australia’s lower order will give the series a familiar feel and you can be sure that Cookie’s captaincy will facilitate this.

39. Zephirine Jun 9, 2015 / 7:48 pm

Well, la di da.

Well played the non-cliquers!

40. LordCanisLupus Jun 9, 2015 / 8:15 pm

OK. Great performance. A great performance. No knocking that.

But. One game. Said it after Grenada. Said it after Lord’s. One game is not a trend.

I’ll bet it won’t be greeted that way.

41. Sherwick Jun 9, 2015 / 8:20 pm

One win but this ODI team has a proper LEADER.