Perspective

It’s been an interesting 36 hours, but one that has a silver lining.

No cricket for a day brought the silly squad out, and now everyone’s had their say, most notably about Pietersen, and less about the folly of Downton and the first plays of Colin Graves.

The South Africans did for Ireland in a big way, and the full test nation lobby has a little string to its bow.

There’s been the John Etheridge stuff which I’ve probably talked about too much. But it’s been revelatory.

Then there’s been another of our favourtie sponsored interviews, and Stuart Broad does little to disprove “the book” and its little take on our fading star.

But we don’t have perspective, we have guesswork, we have sneering superiority, we have arrogance. Oh well. Let’s move on. (oh dear, I sounded just like them).

Two games tonight, game threads to follow. I think we can say, without fear or favour, judging by hit rates and visitor numbers, that after a month re-establishing myself, the blog is back.

64 thoughts on “Perspective

1. wrongunatlongon Mar 3, 2015 / 10:49 pm

I’m not sure the SA thumping of the Irish means too much when they disposed of a Test nation in an even more brutal fashion three days before. Or praps the next WC should just be Oz, Nz, Rsa, SL and Inj. TBF it’d be trickier to call.

• d'Arthez Mar 4, 2015 / 12:10 am

Exactly. And it is not like West Indies just had a tail collapse on them. By the time the 7th wicket fell, West Indies had reached 63. The fans were dreading the prospect of being bowled out for 107 or less (I might be off a run or two here), as that would have been the worst ever ODI trashing. Instead they had to settle for joint worst ever World Cup trashing (shared with Bermuda, vs. India 2007). Some consolation. Ireland at least had reached 150 by the time the 7th wicket fell. You’d be hard pressed to argue that West Indies did better against South Africa.

Oh, and let’s not forget that West Indies were defeated by Ireland as well And it is not like West Indies have had much of a tournament record. Including all the teams, their W/L ratio skirts around 1.0 in the World Cup since 1999. That can hardly be called a temporary blip. Seriously, if West Indies deserve to be in these tournaments by default, so do Ireland.

Let’s put in the record of another Test nation: England.

In 2007, they lost to New Zealand in the group stages. Then they beat Kenya and Canada. In the Super Eights, they beat Ireland, West Indies (1 wicket) and Bangladesh. All other games were lost: Sri Lanka, Australia, South Africa got victories, albeit to Sri Lanka by only a couple of runs.

They were absolutely trashed by South Africa (9 wickets, chased down inside 20 overs). The defeats against New Zealand (6 wickets) and Australia (7 wickets) were at least bearable. But heavy defeats nonetheless.

P:6 W:2 L:4

In 2011, they beat two Test playing nations (South Africa, and West Indies, and the margins in both cases were less than 20 runs), tied with India and lost to Bangladesh. Oh and, conceded the fasted century in World Cup history to Ireland.

England went out without taking a wicket in the quarter-finals, in the worst ever 10-wicket loss in terms of the defended target in World Cup history.

P:5 W:2 T:1 L:2

Believe it or not, that was England’s best World Cup performance since 1992 against Full Members (you can argue that 1999, with P:4 W:2 L:2 was somewhat successful too, but somehow being eliminated from the World Cup in England before the official tournament song was released does not strike me as “successful”).

In 2015, they have thus far only received three trashings against the Full Members. Admittedly, England have only played three games against Full Members. They might get a win against Bangladesh, but if they lose, which is not that unlikely, their record for 2015 is:
      P:4 W:0 T:0 L:4
      If they get eliminated in the quarter-finals it will be
      P:5 W:1 T:0 L:4

So let’s tally up:
      P15: W:4 T:1 L:10
      or if England manage to defeat BD and crash out in the quarterfinals
      P16: W:5 T:1 L:10

At least 7 of the 10 defeats against Test playing nations were hammerings (5 wickets or worse, 50+ runs in chasing defeats), and maybe Bangladesh or India (which would be the likely opponent in the quarters) will add another one to that.

So, Mr. Clarke, when will Team ECB be barred from ODI World Cups on meritocratic basis?

Or maybe *gasp* we could come up with a format that actually attempts to grow the game globally?

Oh, and as an aside, can’t we come up with a better metric for tiebreakers than NRR? I mean in terms of NRR, Australia did roughly as badly against New Zealand (151/50 – 152/23.1), as England did against Australia (342/50 – 231/50). This despite New Zealand just scraping through on 1 wicket. Can’t they come up with some metric like resources left (like in D/L)?

• d'Arthez Mar 4, 2015 / 12:38 am

Just to be clear: the tallies are referring to results against Test nations only.

• metatone Mar 4, 2015 / 12:23 pm

Very important point about the net run rate nonsense.
        It’s also rather pitch and toss dependent.
        Ireland could have had more luck – not every pitch in this competition is a 400 one.

2. metatone Mar 3, 2015 / 10:57 pm

Perspective:

I predicted that the England bowling would be toothless before the tournament.
    I was right. How many journalists “guessed” as accurately?

I predicted that our addiction to laptop scores would leave us unprepared for getting the kind of scores that the better teams were getting regularly.
    I was right. How many journalists “guessed” as accurately?

etc…

3. Boz Mar 3, 2015 / 11:01 pm

Stuart Broad is as thick as two short … overs

• Annie Weatherly-Barton Mar 4, 2015 / 7:26 pm

Seen his piece in the Guardian. Blimey! He really doesn’t understand that he is one of the people who is not stepping up to the plate. Unbelievable stuff.

4. Rav Roberts Mar 3, 2015 / 11:14 pm

Broadie may be short of a braincell or two, but wasn’t it hilarious how he setup that fake twitter account a few years back with his mates?! What a japester and a loveable young scallywag!

• metatone Mar 4, 2015 / 12:52 pm

I got rather grumpy on the comments to The Spin.
      It’s not that England using stats is bad, it’s that they use them so badly.
      Instead of giving players options (like NZ) they seem to close off options and hinge on strategies that make them predictable (and worse, in the case of the slow bouncer, just wrong/out-of-dat.)

5. SimonH Mar 4, 2015 / 1:09 pm

FFS the Guardian is just taking leave of its senses:

Marina Hyde has written some excellent stuff and the article isn’t quite as bad as the sub-headline in particular makes it seem – but it is still awful. The parallel with Thatcher is so wrong-headed it would be laughed out of an undergraduate debating contest (if they still have such things).

Perhaps the writer was short on her quota of clicks? Do they care that within the first twenty replies they are getting “I think he is a cunt too” and “he’s a South African” type responses?

I’m going for a bit of a lie-down….

• LordCanisLupus Mar 4, 2015 / 1:40 pm

Of course, there are many who effect even – handedness who think it is hilarious. I think it’s crap. No surprise there.

• Zephirine Mar 4, 2015 / 1:44 pm

Hyde is a slick writer with a good turn of phrase but always strikes me as an utterly cynical click-chaser.

• Rooto Mar 4, 2015 / 3:26 pm

We can chalk her down as another journalist happy to publicly state that she shares Strauss’ opinion of Pietersen. It’s genuinely weird how many people are happy to call him that when he is (to use a US TV phrase) “still right here”. It’s almost enough to make me want him back in the team, just so they have to deal with him again.

Oh, yeah, I already do want that.*

*Terms and conditions apply…

• Arron Wright Mar 4, 2015 / 1:50 pm

Just read it on train. Utter, unadulterated garbage.

• LordCanisLupus Mar 4, 2015 / 1:53 pm

You have no sense of humour. It’s funny. How do you not see that?

(not being serious )

• SimonH Mar 4, 2015 / 3:22 pm

• Pontiac Mar 4, 2015 / 1:51 pm

I just looked at the Guardian cricket page and there are seven separate articles with ‘Kevin Pietersen’ in the title on that page which for me extends back to 28 Feb.

Perhaps they are trying to reiterate to the public how to spell his name…

• d'Arthez Mar 4, 2015 / 2:10 pm

Pity the Guardian could not go on a spelling education campaign before Kevin Pietersen played his 100th Test.

It might have helped the ECB avoid some embarrassment, though I don’t think they were too embarrassed by that story, as the current incumbents seem to be utterly incapable of actually experiencing it.

6. SimonH Mar 4, 2015 / 2:09 pm

Over at the DT, Nick Hoult has some remarkably precise information about the WI touring squad, so remarkably precise that one might think the ECB that doesn’t leak has been leaking again:

Trott recalled…. Rashid in…. Anderson and Broad not resting….. Given that the only uncertainty appears to be over the reserve keeper it appears the selection panel hardly need to meet.

Hoult also reports that James Whitaker has taken over as senior ECB manager at the WC with Downton having flown home. Is Whitaker going to be as keen to talk in front of the camera as he apparently is in non-attributable briefings?

Hoult scoops again! He only lets himself down by referring to “the post-Andy Flower era” which is of course rather short of being the full picture (indeed later on he refers to how much Sam Billings has impressed Flower).

• Vian Mar 4, 2015 / 4:08 pm

He specifies at the start of the article that’s it’s the first Test *tour* in the post Flower/Pietersen era – the subbie didn’t pick that up though.

• SimonH Mar 4, 2015 / 4:19 pm

I meant more that Flower hasn’t really gone!

• BoerInAustria Mar 5, 2015 / 1:20 am

Good luck to Trott, nice to see him back.
      But I do believe a deal was struck – keep quiet and you will get – a Lions Tour, a commentary stint at the WC, and a tour of Windies etc.

7. Vian Mar 4, 2015 / 4:17 pm

I have to say I really don’t get how you Guardian regulars say that someone like Marina Hyde often writes good stuff but this one is etc etc etc.

Everything I see from her and from many of the Guardian sports writers is a mix of pompous self-satisfied bullshit and arrogant snidey bollocks. I mean take this one – it doesn’t matter it’s about Pietersen, it’s the invoking of the spectre of Thatcher. Ooh look, it’s the anti-Christ, let’s do a comparison…..actually no, let’s not. It’s seriously fucking stupid on a sports site and playing to the lowest common denominator of Guardian readership, by invoking the “yeah, right on, down with Thatch” stupidity.

The Telegraph has enough stupidity from its sports journalists too, and the moment one of them starts doing comparisons with Blair, Brown, Miliband or whoever is equally crass and base.

I couldn’t give a stuff what anyone’s political affiliations are, I don’t care – this is about cricket. Nor would I assume based on their newspaper of choice, because that doesn’t actually apply either. But I do get fed up seeing some smug hack who half the time doesn’t understand the subject matter be lauded because he or she plays to the base political prejudices of the readership. Any journalist that does that, whichever side of the political fence is nothing but a total Andrew Strauss.

• SimonH Mar 4, 2015 / 4:48 pm

I’ve some regard for Marina Hyde’s writing because of articles like this:

The paragraph on the attitude of some Guardian writers to their BTL commenters should be tattooed on Selvey’s eyelids. Hyde is a much better writer on football and suffers from the vogue for sports’ feature writers trying to show their supposed virtuosity by ranging across a number of sports (Andy Bull is showing signs of going down that route – and he is equally clueless when writing about rugby). Whether it is their own egos or pressure from above I don’t know.

I hadn’t missed the dog whistle element in the choice of Thatcher either.

• Vian Mar 4, 2015 / 4:55 pm

I’m not terribly impressed by that article either. It’s just tearing her robes and saying aren’t we all dreadful people to try and mitigate someone on that paper’s side of politics for dropping a horrendous bollock. But hey, she’s written that in the comment area of the paper, she can do what she likes there, and there’s loads of the same kind of stuff in any of the right wing papers when one of theirs is caught saying something mindblowingly dense. Normal stuff.

It’s introducing it into sport where it becomes an issue. Either way, whenever I read her articles (and I don’t read them all) your description of it being dog whistle stuff is a very good one. And I wish I’d thought of it.

Git.

• Arron Wright Mar 4, 2015 / 6:55 pm

Vian

I’m not going to get sidetracked, because LCL wouldn’t approve, but the modern Guardian is a lot less left-wing than you appear to think. It last gave its full-throated backing to Labour in 2001, advised people to vote the same way in 2005 only with “clothes-pegs” on their nose after Iraq (helped by the Tories’ atavistic campaign under Howard), and backed the Lib Dems in 2010. It has made no meaningful stand for social justice since 2010. Indeed its political editorials are rather like Selvey’s writing on England, in that they bend over backwards to see the good in Clegg and the LDs, even though he’s pissed up the wall the very reasons the Guardian backed him in 2010 (principally electoral reform). If it stands firmly for anything, it is identity politics. Hence it is very easy to imagine Hyde writing a column attacking Clarke for sexism, but far more difficult to imagine her engaging with the wider implications of Pietersen’s sacking or the ICC reforms.

And as you, and all of us, have probably noted, its cricket coverage is WAY closer to the establishment than the Telegraph’s. Below, for instance, is the editorial that – along with Selvey’s writing at the time – launched a thousand disgruntled renegades and refugees:

• Vian Mar 4, 2015 / 7:04 pm

Arron, I have no issue whatever with its politics. I don’t talk about it somewhere like here because it’s not of any relevance, but I think my point about not assuming a political leaning because of the choice of newspaper is an important one. I post mostly on the Telegraph, that’s true. You should make no assumptions from that.

I have a serious issue with the pompousness, holier than thou self-righteousness and smugness of the Guardian though – and that’s the kind of thing I’m referring to in the sports writing – i.e. here let’s bring Thatcher into it, ‘cos she’s reeeelly evil, right? Case closed. Trust me on this, I’m really not talking about the political rights and wrongs here.

• Arron Wright Mar 4, 2015 / 5:22 pm

I was just furious that someone who has taken on Blatter many times should miss the far bigger story, ie the ECB/ICC. Maybe Giles Clarke should make a stupid remark about female cricketers. Then Hyde and the Guardian would be all over it for weeks. Til then, nothing. Pathetic.

• Arron Wright Mar 4, 2015 / 5:39 pm

Oh, keyserchris has pointed out something germane I’d forgotten. Marina Hyde is an ex of Piers Morgan. See keyser’s tweet on the subject.

I wonder where she got the idea there were all these desperate fans campaigning for his return…

• Vian Mar 4, 2015 / 5:44 pm

If she’s an ex of Piers Morgan she doesn’t really have any grounds to start criticising others for who they like, does she?

• escort Mar 4, 2015 / 7:39 pm

Well said. Sport and politics don’t mix. Do they?

8. Vian Mar 4, 2015 / 5:33 pm

As an aside, a mate texted me asking if I fancy going to Edgbaston for a day at the Test in July. It’s £90. Ninety fucking quid. I know it’s not exactly unknown, but it’s worth saying because it’s not like those in the press even notice in their comfortable press box where they’re fed and watered all day.

I had a conversation with Steve James about this once. He probably said something about how lovely Lords was, and I pointed out that it’s alright for him, he doesn’t miss an hour’s play queueing up for a pint, another hour’s play having the unmitigated cheek to want food sometime around lunch, require a new mortgage to pay for any of these and then have some arsehole on Sky (that’s you Atherton) talking about a “disappointing” crowd.

Now to be fair to Steve James, he had the grace to acknowledge how spoilt they were but he didn’t go as far as writing an article pointing any of this out. None of them do. It doesn’t appear on their radar. If Marina Hyde really wants to get down with the proles maybe she should actually buy a damn ticket once in a while and see what we put up with.

• hatmallet Mar 4, 2015 / 6:28 pm

A bit like when Swann guessed how much a Test ticket was whilst on TMS? Can’t remember the exact figure, but didn’t he guess £20-something?

• Vian Mar 4, 2015 / 6:30 pm

He did indeed say “about £20”. Which said a lot about him.

• Pontiac Mar 5, 2015 / 9:41 pm

My first in person cricket spectating was at Edgbadton for the third day of a county match. IIRC the ticket for that was twenty….

9. hatmallet Mar 4, 2015 / 6:26 pm

Good luck to him – he’s going to need it! First job is to give his new team a huge kick up the arse.

• LordCanisLupus Mar 4, 2015 / 7:02 pm

Because team sky were renowned among the cycling fraternity as a beacon of great press relations. Plus ca change, I fear.

• Rooto Mar 4, 2015 / 7:50 pm

I believe they were transported from race to race in (and sought long refuge, pre- and post-race, within) a enormo-bus nicknamed the Death Star…
        Their boss is also famous for micro-managing all the 0.1% factors, and relying on data, while being unskilled in traditional race-craft.
        The team is a very divisive presence for many fans.
        Their most recent star rider is often referred to by his African roots.
        His ultimate boss is Murdoch.
        Their most charismatic rider has been inched out (OK, only slowly, and with his agreement.)

He’ll feel right at home.

10. thebogfather Mar 4, 2015 / 6:46 pm

So… where is MooresthePityful? TBCOHG? Never was, never will be… purely a puppet to TheSilentFlowerpotMan, DowntownShabby and GreasyGiles. Whatever MTP’s input, the failure of our bowlers to think for themselves as to how to bowl in the current conditions – both pitch conditions and opposing batting strategy – is pathetic. Despite selecting a bowling line-up without variation and guile, our attack is clueless, without invention, and – as is shown by the 1-day competition records of our senior bowlers – totally inadequate….. but hey, we only rearranged our schedules, stuck to the obviously not working team plans, (for 4 years…..) then changed it all in a last minute panic… thank you ECB (or is it now CE&W?)
    Almost as depressingly pathetic is the written press (a few exceptions) ignorance and non-acceptance of the failings. and failure to challenge those who (probably, literally) feed them…

11. thebogfather Mar 4, 2015 / 6:50 pm

After reading Marinas cricketipolitical self expression, I thought I’d ask her out on a date…

Dear Marina, as one who is outside, and has only just given in to become BTL, may I offer to escort you to a day at a test this summer? I won’t have the contacts to enable the £90 tickets, but am sure you will know how to access these – I will pay ticket costs if necessary, despite having been made redundant after 33 years…we will share expenses for travel/accommodation etc., and hopefully provide dual objective insights from each of our views to share with your readers?After

12. thebogfather Mar 4, 2015 / 6:58 pm

Please excuse my cut and paste as a new BTL, with a new lappy, and being generally clueless – both the above comments were as a newbie on TheGruaniad… feel free to pressure Marina to get me a date! lol

13. Arron Wright Mar 4, 2015 / 9:18 pm

Off topic, but I Heart Andy Cronk.

In response to this article from Barney Ronay:

which includes this little bit of passing off opinion as indisputable fact:

“Andy Flower, England’s best ever coach, was still in charge and fully focused”

Andy Cronk writes:

and the ensuing tweets are absolute perfection.

• Arron Wright Mar 4, 2015 / 9:19 pm

Ronay’s initial response, by the way, is Selveyesque in terms of both rudeness and narrowness.

• SimonH Mar 4, 2015 / 9:30 pm

What are you referring to there Arron?

Anyway, seeing you mention Barney Ronay I take it you’ve seen his article on England’s “Blame Game”? Flower England’s “best ever coach”? Did he have to put that in to be allowed some slight criticisms of the ECB and a bit of a dig at England’s bowling coaches and Finn?

Still, at least he didn’t compare Pietersen to Benito Mussolini or Attila the Hun which feels like a plus at the Guardian these days…..

• Arron Wright Mar 4, 2015 / 9:34 pm

I am referring to the same article!

If you mean the tweet, just enter Barney Ronay or Andy Cronk into Twitter search. But this is Ronay’s response to the tweet shown above, i.e. to a perfectly valid and polite disasgreement:

• SimonH Mar 4, 2015 / 11:37 pm

Sorry about that – when I wrote my post your 9:19 post had appeared but the 9:18 one hadn’t (because of moderation presumably) so that was why I was confused.

Leaving aside Ronay’s rudeness, one feature that grates with me about that article is how he overrates that supposedly ‘lost team’. Rather a lot of those wins seem from memory to be against weak or unmotivated teams in meaningless bi-laterals. More seriously, they were won by a game plan that was a dead-end and has been completely overtaken by how the top teams are now playing ODIs.

It’s delusional to think that that team would have been competitive in the WC if only it hadn’t been burnt-out. Also, it annoys the hell out of me that Ronay (and Bull has done the same) blame “the ECB” without ever (that I can recall) naming who that means specifically or giving some serious analysis as to why they are agreeing to such schedules.

I don’t think the “best ever” phrase was a deliberate provocation – I think he really believes it and can’t grasp that anyone would reasonably disagree. Has the Guardian ATL published an article, a paragraph, even a sentence critical of Andy Flower? I can’t remember one.

• LordCanisLupus Mar 4, 2015 / 11:43 pm

Just to clarify, because most spam posts contain links, wordpress moderates automatically. It’s a bit capricious, and hence some are stopped, others not. I try to let things pass a.s.a.p. I’m not really moderating, but wordpress does it for me.

• Arron Wright Mar 5, 2015 / 8:19 am

I agree Simon. A good many of the things wrong with Guardian cricket coverage stem from that attitude to Flower. In late 2012 Bull wrote an entire article titled “Why Andy Flower is England’s best ever coach”, of course. All I have ever said is that it isn’t as clear cut as some would have you believe. The responses to this argument are often defensive and shrill, but Ronay’s tweet genuinely amazed me.

• SimonH Mar 5, 2015 / 9:00 am

LCL – understood and no worries. I meant no criticism – I was only trying to explain what now reads like an odd comment.

• OscarDaBosca Mar 5, 2015 / 7:31 pm

Thanks Aaron, I am known as OscarDaBosca btl and on here. I heart you too

• Vian Mar 5, 2015 / 2:46 pm

I find that absolutely outrageous. HMRC can’t approve something at the time and then decide 10 years later they shouldn’t have and go after the money. It’s morning after guilt.

14. SimonH Mar 5, 2015 / 3:32 pm

“KEVIN Pietersen’s sacking last February was unfair”.

“He didn’t put a foot wrong on that 2013-14 Ashes tour before his contract was terminated”.

“There was nothing I witnessed which was untoward and he was a positive influence in the dressing room and a big help to the younger players who could pick his brains and tap into his experience and vast knowledge of the game. In terms of having him around the team, I haven’t had or seen any problems with him in the last few years”.

Chris Tremlett – outside cricket.

• d'Arthez Mar 5, 2015 / 3:59 pm

I don’t think Tremlett is lying here, or making stuff up. After all, most of what he has said has been said by half a dozen or more players who were on that Ashes tour. The problem is that the ECB will either ignore it, or at best challenge it on a relatively inconsequential point (like they did with the Carberry interview).

If these allegations by Tremlett get addressed at all, it will be with something as nonsensical as this:

Since Bell appears a bit on the outskirts of the team (i.e. he does not come across as a domineering person), it is possible that the only batsman of note who could offer Cookie some advice would have been Prior – the rest being simply too inexperienced.

Given Prior’s excellent physical health (presumably the tear was just two inches then), Cooky had no choice but to take advice from Broad and Anderson on batting.

After all Bell is portrayed as best as a sack of potatoes in the media, and the moment he expresses a coherent thought (like stepping up to bat at #3 after Trott’s departure in Australia), he gets mostly ignored and roundly criticized. Or he gets criticized for something idiotic on a team bonding exercise.

So let’s blame KP for the fact that Downton, (Flower and probably Cook) sacked KP. Let´s blame those outside of cricket for stirring the KP issue up time and again. Let’s blame Prior for not being able to keep wicket in a wheelchair. Let’s blame Bell for not being a egomaniac running the dressing room. And let’s blame Trott for being a coward (Like Vaughan did, the numpty).

#BlameKP
      #TrottsFault
      #HaveFaithinTheAnnointedOne
      #RightSortofFamilyWhatMoreDoWeWant

Let´s hope for English Cricket, that Graves is willing to shake up the entire organisation, because the game will die in England as long as these imbeciles are in charge.

• SimonH Mar 5, 2015 / 4:18 pm

Hi D’Arthez,
        Spot on as always! I notice SL have another injury (Karunaratne) – any thoughts on the likely replacement and is it just bad luck they are having so many injuries?

• Arron Wright Mar 5, 2015 / 4:48 pm

“After all Bell is portrayed as best as a sack of potatoes in the media, and the moment he expresses a coherent thought (like stepping up to bat at #3 after Trott’s departure in Australia), he gets mostly ignored and roundly criticized.”

This reminds me: a few days ago I saw someone on Twitter state that “Bell didn’t have the balls to bat three after Trott left.” How does this become received wisdom, when it’s not just Thepoetseye who noticed Bell drop a very strong hint that he wanted to bat at three on that tour?

• d'Arthez Mar 5, 2015 / 6:26 pm

I would imagine it is mostly bad luck.

The problem with Karunaratne is that he is basically an opener who can´t play in that position, and he does not have the power-hitter game to biff it in the slog overs. As a result he tends to play in a floating position, which is extremely rough on the player.

Statistically speaking, you´d expect Upul Tharanga to be seriously in the mix for a slot in the playing XI. Sure, he has similar limitations, but he has a decent record to fall back on, even though it is average in Australia and New Zealand.

Practically speaking, Sri Lanka know that they will play a quarterfinal in Australia, and possibly a semi in New Zealand, especially if they lose to Australia. The likely opponents will be South Africa and New Zealand in that case (or West Indies and then SA / Aus if they beat Australia in the group game), if they make it that far.

I just see that they´ve called up S. Prasanna, and are flying in Kusal ´walking wicket´ Perera in as a precautionary measure. The latter should not even be close to selection, since he hardly ever lasts 30 balls in an ODI innings abroad. He has played 14 innings abroad, and in only 1 he lasted more than 30 balls. That was in Dhaka. Admittedly he batted out of position a couple of times, but he has given little indication that he can really compete at the highest level, especially abroad.

As for Prasanna, I am sure that is mainly done in an attempt to pick on opposition weaknesses, and it being end of season in Australia may mean that wickets become more and more conducive to spin bowling.

Why the ICC does not allow teams to nominate 18 players for a World Cup, but disallows injury substitutions, is a bit beyond me.

15. SimonH Mar 5, 2015 / 6:16 pm

New Geek&Friend podcast posted (with Dave Tickner).